Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.32 To Get R600 KMS Along With 3D

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.32 To Get R600 KMS Along With 3D

David Airlie has pushed a horde of new code into his drm-next Git tree, which is what will get pulled into the Linux 2.6.32 kernel once the merge window is open. Most prominently, this new DRM code brings support for kernel mode-setting with R600 class hardware as well as 3D support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

David Airlie has pushed a horde of new code into his drm-next Git tree, which is what will get pulled into the Linux 2.6.32 kernel once the merge window is open. Most prominently, this new DRM code brings support for kernel mode-setting with R600 class hardware as well as 3D support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzUxNg
    Why is the article only naming the R600 hardware? Everything I've read so far suggests that the support is for both R600 and R700 hardware, even the source blog post implicates this

Comment

And what about R800? When do they come on-line?

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
        Why is the article only naming the R600 hardware? Everything I've read so far suggests that the support is for both R600 and R700 hardware, even the source blog post implicates this
        It is pretty much redundant to mention R700 specifically since everything that applies to R600 also applies to R700. So the reason is that it saves 5 characters {space}"R700", at every point of mention.

Comment

Fedora rawhide users, just wait for a day and it should all be available.
          *** nice
          So tomorrow all I gotta do is an easy "yum update" and 3D should start working...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzUxNg
            pretty f******g sweet

Comment

Originally posted by lbcoder View Post
              It is pretty much redundant to mention R700 specifically since everything that applies to R600 also applies to R700. So the reason is that it saves 5 characters {space}"R700", at every point of mention.
              Not if (almost?) every article up until now has spoken of R600/R700 (note the forward slash and the R700). Omitting it now is a breeding ground for confusion because it isn't consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by lbcoder View Post
                *** nice
                So tomorrow all I gotta do is an easy "yum update" and 3D should start working...
                Only if you are on f12

Comment

The naming convention is (generally) to have the folder name indicate the oldest generation supported, eg r300 supports 3xx, 4xx, 5xx and rs6xx while r600 supports 6xx, 7xx and possibly future generations.

rbmorse, our focus right now is getting the 6xx/7xx code base solid so that we have a good starting point for future GPUs.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                    Only if you are on f12
                    ...That would be the reason I said all *I* gotta do

Comment

Working...
                    X