Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    Yes.. but what is your solution ?===
    Quitting the moaning about non-working things and being happy with the progress?

Comment

If you have the choice (like just buy a 30$ pci-e card) then replace card...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        If you have the choice (like just buy a 30$ pci-e card) then replace card...
        Wonder why you still haven't given up ATi cards and moved to another section of the forum then. You seem to recommend often enough that others do just that.

Comment

There have been lots of complains here about AMD graphics. I can't really say much except this:

- I have a IBM/Lenovo T60p with ATI graphics. Using the open source driver it provides good 3D for Compiz.
          - I have a AMD-based custom built system with a ATI 4890 running the 9.8 Catalyst driver. Dual boot with Vista and RHEL5. Games run very well in Windows (as does video) and I have no issues with the ATI driver in RHEL5 with Compiz. Actually, I built two of these, the second for the wife.

So while it seems alot of people are climbing up AMD/ATI's tree, all I can say is "thank you" and "good job". Based on my experience, when following the supported platforms that ATI is supporting, my experience is solid. I appreciate the open source support that AMD is putting forth and it has influenced my purchasing plans.

Comment

AMD only lag MAN-POWER!

catalyst 9-11 will show the true.. because they have a litle bit of time and manpower.

overall ATI/AMD lock at the market-share and not on the theoretical potential thats very stupid because the market share is so low because people can not watch there HD-viedeos on there Linux PCs because there 4ghz quatcore superduber amd cpus are to slow to match a movie and the AMD-VGA not not help the cpu.,..

this part of users... install windows 7 and tell there frends... somthing like this: "linux isn't for media or games linux is only for being a freak/nerd/geek linux isn't so cool"
            I'm not sure this was really a response to me, since it seems to go off on a tangent, but if you're saying that the only reason UVD2 support isn't in Catalyst yet is a lack of manpower and that 9.11 will add it, I think you're dead wrong.

The truth is that UVD support is already present in Catalyst and working, and being used by some people. AMD just has to release the specs, or some example code of how it can be used. The fact that it hasn't happened yet, and that AMD has still never publicly said that it will happen is not a good sign IMO. Bridgeman's (and others) total silence on this matter only makes sense to me if it's being held up for legal reasons and some lawyers are telling him not to discuss it. Otherwise, wouldn't they just say that they're working through some issues and it will come soon when it's ready?

I do think that Catalyst is gradually improving, though. Hopefully in a year or two it will be ready for primetime - although by then I hope we'll all be using the open source drivers anyway.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 10 September 2009, 02:15 AM.

Comment

I tested this driver with the newly released 2.6.31 kernel (gentoo-sources as well as vanilla). Builds, loads and runs OK.

Comment

This driver is now officially in Gentoo:

x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.660

"8.660" is used instead of "9.10" in order to distinguish them from the normal releases. That means this won't update automatically since, as the version "8.660" is lower than "9.8", it will appear to be a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

If you want to install those, you need to first mask 9.8 in /etc/portage/package.mask and then "emerge --update world". Again, portage will tell you that it is downgrading, but simply go ahead and emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  This driver is now officially in Gentoo:

x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.660

"8.660" is used instead of "9.10" in order to distinguish them from the normal releases. That means this won't update automatically since, as the version "8.660" is lower than "9.8", it will appear to be a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

If you want to install those, you need to first mask 9.8 in /etc/portage/package.mask and then "emerge --update world". Again, portage will tell you that it is downgrading, but simply go ahead and emerge.
                  why not just type "emerge =ati-drivers-8.660" ?

Comment

No it should not. Users know about Catalyst versions. Having the package manager say "8.xxx" while ATI says "9.x" is wrong and confusing.

This is a special case here. This version is a release to Ubuntu. Gentoo uses upstream version numbers, and latest upstream catalyst is 9.8. The version numbering scheme is correct.

Comment

you also can setup an old ubuntu 8.10 for an exampel or 8.04lts and use the 9-3 catalyst.

no computer-company on earth supports there products on full live time period!

you can't get linux drivers for an C64-VGA Sue commodore if you wana be cool!

AMD supports your hardware 5years or longer!

why not buy an new one? or try to help make the opensource driver better!
                      Qaridarium, you must be kidding. I've bought my RS690M based Raon Everun Note in February 2009 and laptops are still sold with this chip. You can actually buy brand new hardware without legacy support for new distros.
                      Other things like suspend2ram didn't work with Ubuntu 8.1. I won't switch back to older distros and I would be glad to get a working free driver. So far it can't run my games.

Comment

Working...
                      X