AMD Catalyst 9.10 dropped in Ubuntu 9.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zapbrannigan99 View Post
    Just tried installing the driver linked in this thread on my msi laptop with x1270 ATI (r6xx) based chipset
    That is not an R6xx chip. That's R3xx and not supported anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
      That's not a fglrx specific bug it happens with Windows too. ATI always uses Video-Level for Videos and there ist no way to configure it to PC-Level.
      FWIW you should be able to get vsync and correct color by using -

mplayer -vo gl:yuv=4

It's been a while since I tested fglrx but it used to be the case that the right mplayer + fglrx version combination was almost as good as xv for cpu usage. Less lucky version matches would tend to eat a bit too much.

Comment

gl is ok for sd or maybe 720p, but not for 1080p with 30 mbps with softdecoding on a slow 3450 card. there hw accelleration is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
          Thanks AMD for the driver, don't forget to release 9.9 and 9.10 (final), too

of course it's still there !

you haven't re-compiled your x-server with the fix from fedora (it's an issue caused by intel from what I've read so far)

fglrx+kde4+composite, how to make it really fast (f.g.o)

the patch is called: fedora_dont_backfill_bg_none.patch patch

when using an x-server with that patch included there's no delay in maximizing (none with compiz and none with kwin's opengl backend)
          You are the man !

I have just tried this patch and it works GREAT !

Thank you !!

Comment

"no need" is not correct, better impossible to run fglrx 9-3 with that new Xserver. If you really want fglrx then only with Xserver 1.5 at max and 2.6.28 kernel. But full featured is also not correct. GLSL does not work, so mainly only compiz and old games work.

Comment

Yeah, it's a fairly old GPU, but didn't AMD relent and mention somewhere that they were going to release catalyst legacy drivers for linux + X11 a while back? It's kind of seeming like the first one is a little overdue ATM, esp given the state of the OSS driver wrt 3D support...

slight nitpicks:
              cart = card
              fakt = fact
              and the grammar is fairly decent now...

Comment

I believe we said that we were *not* going to release legacy driver updates for Linux.

Helping to improve the open source drivers seemed to be a better use of time.
                Last edited by bridgman; 12 October 2009, 11:29 AM.
                Test signature

Comment

I don't think thats a wise decision as different ppl work on it anyway. So you do not need to stop improving open source drivers in that time. The fglrx driver has got such a low standard, nobody would even care if you improve one line more or less for next release.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I believe we said that we were *not* going to release legacy driver updates for Linux.

Helping to improve the open source drivers seemed to be a better use of time.
                    And by the time the open source drivers reach the 3D performance of Catalyst (if ever), those GPUs will move from being "old" (which means they're still useful) to being "ancient." :P

Comment

4 years = old, but 4-1/2 years = ancient ?
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X