No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.8 Delivers New Kernel Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• highest load you almost never reach. No, wrong, highest load you do never reach.

But the average laod your box stays in most of the time is freaking inefficient. And even if you are at max load - a 650W 80+ PSU would give you the same efficiency for a lot less money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
      why sould i buy an 400watt PSU only to save energy for my 800watt consuming workstation's ??
      Does your workstation peak at 800W or that's the maximum rated output of your PSU and the components consume much less?

And vincent, stop calling other people retard or full of shit. You are the ignorant in this conversation. You are entitled to your own opinions, but when your opinions are based on commercials and rambo movies, they're not worth much. Read a fucking book, or if you hate books, especially "technical" ones, read on wikipedia some articles and get to understand HOW a PSU works, how AC/DC and power stepping is done and then come here and call us names.

If you actually knew what you are tlaking about, and not just blowing air out you ignorant ass you'd know that THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT POWER LOSS in the conversion process itself. Read a fucking book you stupid kid, and then come here with FACTS, facts that you learned and UNDERSTOOD.

No wonder you bought a 500E card. You are an ignorant moron. If you really had an ounce of brain in that head, you'd figure out yourself that buying a 100E card now and another 100E card 4 years later would give you the same performance at less that half the investment. Also, you rushed in and bought the most expensive card you could find, probably to complement you e-penis. I have a 100E ATi card that runs FarCry2 at 1680x1050, full anti-aliasing and effects with no problems. 4 Years from now, assuming that all games aren't retarded console ports shit from EA, I'll buy a 4870x2 like your own, second hand at 50E tops.

Comment

• Originally posted by CNCFarraday View Post
        And vincent, stop calling other people retard or full of shit. You are the ignorant in this conversation. You are entitled to your own opinions, but when your opinions are based on commercials and rambo movies, they're not worth much. Read a fucking book, or if you hate books, especially "technical" ones, read on wikipedia some articles and get to understand HOW a PSU works, how AC/DC and power stepping is done and then come here and call us names.
        Yeah because I am doing an education right now that's related to electricity and technology.

If you actually knew what you are tlaking about, and not just blowing air out you ignorant ass you'd know that THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT POWER LOSS in the conversion process itself. Read a fucking book you stupid kid, and then come here with FACTS, facts that you learned and UNDERSTOOD.
        Yeah I know there is a power loss in the conversation process. I have totally not said this a million times. What are you trying to say here?

No wonder you bought a 500E card. You are an ignorant moron. If you really had an ounce of brain in that head, you'd figure out yourself that buying a 100E card now and another 100E card 4 years later would give you the same performance at less that half the investment.
        First of all, your calling names too. Just funny to note that. Secondly I bought that card because a 100E card can't play GTA4 on max, for example So what does that say?

Also, you rushed in and bought the most expensive card you could find, probably to complement you e-penis.
        I already gave four reasons why I bought it. Maybe you're the one who should read first and comment later.

I have a 100E ATi card that runs FarCry2 at 1680x1050, full anti-aliasing and effects with no problems. 4 Years from now, assuming that all games aren't retarded console ports shit from EA, I'll buy a 4870x2 like your own, second hand at 50E tops.
        Cool. What about Colin McRae Dirt, GTA4, Brothers In Arms; Hell's Highway, Red Alert 3, Race Driver; GRID and Unreal Tournament 3? Yeah thought so too.

So come back to me if you have something to say, OK?

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          First of all, your calling names too. Just funny to note that. Secondly I bought that card because a 100E card can't play GTA4 on max, for example So what does that say?
          Mostly that you value games pretty damn high.

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            Mostly that you value games pretty damn high.
            Yeah I know. Damn Windows only games >.< I am working on a solution for that, but first I have to have OpenCL support for my ATI card :') >.<

PS: But OpenCL is not a priority. Please fix and polish what is broken now before implementing new stuff >.<
            Last edited by V!NCENT; 25 August 2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• I mostly meant: 500E is a huge pile of money. If you buy a single hardware piece with that amount of money only to play games, you must value games pretty damn high. Irregardless of the operating system.

Comment

cooler means longer life time.

save money on life time or save money on pay power.
                my 363W cpu that powered a 250W box for several years is still going strong.
                If you want a long lifetime, don't buy crap. Buy a quality psu (that also means: no antec).

Comment

"Does your workstation peak at 800W "

with all componennts 2 peaces of cpu 8 peaces of ram 10 peaces of hdds 2 peaces of VGAs dvd drive its the "peak" and your PSU sould handle this.
                  what cpu? and rum takes what - 4W/stick? 6W? less?

HDDs are ~12W max. So even if all hdds are maxed out at the same time AND your cpus AND your graphics cards AND your ram AND your other devices (aka stupid secnario that will never happen), you still don't consume 1000W. Or 800.

120W hdds
                  280W cpu
                  300W graphics
                  20W mobo (yes, it is really that low)
                  a bit for usb
                  a bot for other crap

750W. Very generously. And to reach that you have to overload the system to just get the meximum draw.

But as thermaltakes wattage calculator, which does give a too high result, have shown that Vincents PSU is way, way overblown.

Overblown means less effective
                  Overblown means money wasted.

Comment

• I've got a brand spanking new bug for you guys this time. Under Ubuntu the catalyst control center pretty much want to be launched as root to make ANY changes(didn't used to care), and the super user version is setup to look for a program(to grant root privileges, might be a script dunno since it doesn't exist) called amdxdg-su.

It's not found in the fglrx-amdcccle .deb pakacge that's built, so you might want to edit it to start with gksu. If you need an example right click on the menu bar at the top, pick edit menus then look at say synaptic package manager entry for an example, or ANY other app from the menu that asks for root password.

Come on AMD, this is a n00b's bug here...
                    Last edited by cutterjohn; 25 August 2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
                      I've got a brand spanking new bug for you guys this time. Under Ubuntu the catalyst control center pretty much want to be launched as root to make ANY changes(didn't used to care), and the super user version is setup to look for a program(to grant root privileges, might be a script dunno since it doesn't exist) called amdxdg-su.

It's not found in the fglrx-amdcccle .deb pakacge that's built, so you might want to edit it to start with gksu. If you need an example right click on the menu bar at the top, pick edit menus then look at say synaptic package manager entry for an example, or ANY other app from the menu that asks for root password.

Come on AMD, this is a n00b's bug here...
                      I encountered no such bug but I was a bit surprised by the need for superuser to configure my monitors.

Comment

Working...
                      X