Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Makes HIP Ray-Tracing Open-Source

Phoronix: AMD Makes HIP Ray-Tracing Open-Source

AMD's HIP Ray-Tracing library "HIP RT" has been one of the few projects under the GPUOpen umbrella that starts off as closed-source software but then is eventually open-sourced... That happened now with the HIP ray-tracing code becoming publicly available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD is on a roll. I guess this could be read two ways depending on your world view: 1) They can't find enough devs to write this code for them. 2) *uck it! The "people" will write it for us. I don't know that this lights any more of a fire under NVidia/Intel's ass but it sure must be making them sweat a bit. Drip, drip, drip, drip......

Comment

Being open source let's other developers see what is going on with the code and how better to use it in projects. An SDK can only get you so far, but knowing how the driver works at the machine level means you know what you're coding for and how best to optimize it.

It also means there is a chance commits could be made to backport HIP RT to other cards via the software route or via Stream Processor assist or even fork the project.

It's a good showing for AMD. It's saying: here's how we do it, here how you can do things with our code, here's how your project can benefit, and if you see something we missed, fork it, add it, and submit a pull request.

Comment

The missing piece to test Blender 3D with HIP Ray support is set.

Comment

Omg, finally! Now I can use it as a submodule for my Rust bindings. I was already thinking about sending them an email begging...

Comment

Oh yeah? Well I open sourced THIGH Ray-Tracing decades ago.

But unfortunately only like 3 or 4 people wanted to ray trace their thighs.

Otherwise it would have been huge!

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

The project or the thighs?

Comment

*initial commit, ~76k additions, 0 deletions*

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

repo link, please

Comment

Working...
                X