AMD Updates FreeSync Certification Requirements For New Monitors & TVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's because there are two kinds of premium users: Premium Resolution and Premium Framerate...1080p400 and 2160p60ish

They split the middle with 1440p or better and 120fps or better.
    And then there are the Premium Premium users who enjoy 2160p144...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

And then there are the Premium Premium users who enjoy 2160p144...
      That requires having a Premium Pro income

Comment

AMD be honest, you just pulled those refresh and resolution values out of your azz. This couldn't be more random or can anyone spot a glimpse of logic there?

So this means cheap 1080p 60Hz monitors won't be able to claim FreeSync support. What are they going to do? Call it VRR?
        Just call it a laptop without keyboard and batteries and you're well within spec.
        Last edited by Anux; 05 March 2024, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Missed opportunity to push DisplayPort by adding a "+" sign or something e.g. "Freesync+ {,Premium {,Pro}}"

Comment

So this means cheap 1080p 60Hz monitors won't be able to claim FreeSync support. What are they going to do? Call it VRR?
            I thought I was about to see a table listing VRR range requirements for new monitors. Something like: 60hz monitors must support 30-60hz, 120hz monitors must support 40-120hz... Instead I see a table listing monitor specs that frankly have nothing to do with VRR at all. I guess someone at AMD decided 'we want our sticker on better products' and abandoned the actual reason for the sticker. If Freesync has actual engineering requirements that matter to its stated purpose, AMD needs to publish those, else Freesync is meaningless.

Comment

How about mandating a DisplayPort on monitors and TVs?

Comment

What about requiring DISPLAY PORT for all of it? Considering the recent events around HDMI... just asking.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

So they didn't change the names of the tiers, nor did they version them, so the same names mean different things based on when the monitors were certified, but this is entirely opaque and makes it completely useless.
                  I agree that this is pure marketing.

Comment

what an absolute marketing machine they have become. And what is the use? just to build a brand around freesync stickers they put on the monitor?

Comment

What were the old requirements? Where is the diff?!

It's weird to change the requirements without changing the name. Old monitors with worse specs will have the FreeSync badge and new and possibly better monitors will not be able to advertise it?

Comment

Working...
                      X