AMD Updates FreeSync Certification Requirements For New Monitors & TVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Updates FreeSync Certification Requirements For New Monitors & TVs

Phoronix: AMD Updates FreeSync Certification Requirements For New Monitors & TVs

AMD's FreeSync adaptive synchronization technology for displays has come a long way since its 2015 debut and enjoying robust industry adoption. Given the increasing refresh rates of today's TVs and monitors, AMD has rolled out new tier requirements for FreeSync, FreeSync Premium, and FreeSync Premium Pro moving forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So this means cheap 1080p 60Hz monitors won't be able to claim FreeSync support. What are they going to do? Call it VRR?

Comment

Why aren't these marketing names just: standard, pro, premium. No, they have to use newspeak terms. I'm waiting for double plus premium.

Comment

I'm disappointed. I've expected premium tier to be at least 400Hz.

Comment

Such tiers are utterly useless when also devices with huge VRR ranges can have severe issues like brightness flicker and gamma shift. Imho just PR BS if there isn't more behind it.
          You can say what you want about Nvidia's stupid and superfluous FPGA module, but at least they do test such such things that actually matter with their gsync-compatible logo (even though it shouldn't be Nvidia who tests such things).
          Last edited by aufkrawall; 05 March 2024, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FuchtelJockel View Post
            Why aren't these marketing names just: standard, pro, premium. No, they have to use newspeak terms. I'm waiting for double plus premium.
            I remember when it was FreeSync 2 HDR and not FreeSync Premium Pro. I wish they'd compromise with FreeSync, FreeSync Premium, and FreeSync Premium HDR.

Comment

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
              I'm disappointed. I've expected premium tier to be at least 400Hz.
              That's because there are two kinds of premium users: Premium Resolution and Premium Framerate...1080p400 and 2160p60ish

They split the middle with 1440p or better and 120fps or better.

Comment

3440 Horizontal Resolution
                Who came up with that number? Is there some secret market of UHD 4:3 monitors somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                  Who came up with that number? Is there some secret market of UHD 4:3 monitors somewhere?
                  3440x1440. 1440p ultrawide. It's what I use @ 144hz . Going above 1440p UW requires a much better GPU than my 6700 XT.

Anecdotally, I noticed when I was shopping for my current monitor that 1440p is also a cutoff resolution in regards to extremely high refresh rates and less than $1000 monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                    Medical displays.

BTW I agree with you, and I am sure this is not referring to medical displays and is nonsensical.

I just thought I let you know that there is a huge marked for 4:3 and 5:4 and other ratios, they just aren't consumer facing. Evwn though it isn't applicable for the conversation.

Also there must be other industries with other "odd" ratios, I'm just not familiar with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X