Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Latest ROCm Effort: More Blogging With A New Blog Platform

Phoronix: AMD's Latest ROCm Effort: More Blogging With A New Blog Platform

As many enthusiasts wait to hear from AMD more broadly supporting ROCm in an official capacity across consumer Radeon GPUs and/or hearing about better supporting more Linux distributions outside of the major enterprise Linux distributions, today AMD announced a new medium for their communications with the community: the "New AMD ROCm Software Blog Platform" will be rolling out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They've finally done it; the killer feature that will finally disrupt CUDA's market dominance. The one thing the entire compute industry has been waiting for all these years: a blog

Comment

We need less talking and "blogging" and more hardware support.
      It's that simple, AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Beach View Post
        It's that simple, AMD.
        Yup. It's inexcusable that every RDNA 1/2/3 GPU isn't officially supported at this point. I'm not even suggesting they go farther back than that. But it's been over SEVEN friggin' years since ROCm was introduced. The fact that every current architecture family GPU isn't officially supported, and during a GPU dependent AI boom no less, is a collosal failure on AMD's part.

Comment

Originally posted by Beach View Post
          It's that simple, AMD.
          I don't think it's the same people behind either effort.

Comment

No RSS is a really silly oversight.

Comment

They know, we know and all know that the main issue abourt AMD GPU computing is Software support.
              ​​​​​​Rocm is only available for Linux Enterprise Linux. That's not how CUDA did make it to be as it is now.
              - Cross-platform (Linux, Windows).
              - support all their GPUs (Client, Professional and Server).
              - pre-built binaries for every platform (not asking the user to build against a specific kernel, and applying specific patches against specific LLVM version).
              - Documentation (including tutorials and examples)
              - Support both enterprise and community .
              Last edited by Setif; 21 February 2024, 09:42 AM.

Comment

This is a good effort. There also needs to be better hardware support and out-of-the-box integration into mainstream Linux distributions, but I think more communication also helps. One issue I had is that whenever I had problems with ROCm, any Google searches pretty much came up empty, so getting more information out is good.

Comment

I like Intel's approach on this matter. First generation hardware that barely can run any game and BOOM: opencl, pytorch, tensorflow, openvino, oneapi, etc, and even blender using hardware ray-tracing cores. They didn't even need to say a word.

Meanwhile AMD is silently removing any information that older cards were ever oficially supported by ROCm 5.x and creating a blog
                  Last edited by sobrus; 21 February 2024, 05:33 AM.

Comment

The problem with AMD is mostly missing documentation (for ex. MxGPU vs vGPU Documentation). This is a good effort.

Comment

Working...
                    X