Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Posts Linux Graphics Driver Patches For New IP Blocks - Presumably For RDNA4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Posts Linux Graphics Driver Patches For New IP Blocks - Presumably For RDNA4

Phoronix: AMD Posts Linux Graphics Driver Patches For New IP Blocks - Presumably For RDNA4

AMD engineers on Monday posted a few new patch series for enabling some updated IP (intellectual property) blocks within their open-source AMDGPU Linux kernel graphics driver. This new IP is presumably part of the ongoing hardware enablement work for their next-generation RDNA4 graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Slight segue to the article; I am hearing that AMD aren't focussed on taking on neckBeardia's top tiered offerings with RDNA4.

And this is the first real attempt at chipletting GPU's?
    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
      Slight segue to the article; I am hearing that AMD aren't focussed on taking on neckBeardia's top tiered offerings with RDNA4.

And this is the first real attempt at chipletting GPU's?
      RDNA4 is entirely monolithic, with the largest multi-chiplet die being cancelled. Only midrange releases at 400-550 MSRP range.

Comment

Originally posted by Errinwright View Post

RDNA4 is entirely monolithic, with the largest multi-chiplet die being cancelled. Only midrange releases at 400-550 MSRP range.
        Maybe, maybe not. I think we will see MCDs again (memory cache dies) and probably with a higher bandwidth than in RDNA 3, maybe via an silicon interposer

Comment

I really really hope they do a fairly powerful GPU in RDNA4 that gets closer to nvidia in regards to power efficiency. I'd really like to replace my summing, humming and feeping RX 6900XT with somwthing new and hopefully more silent ...
          It doesn't need to beat nvidia's offerings in total performance. Coming close (at a "reasonable" price point around 800-1000 Eur) is sufficient for me as long as their Linux support is so much better.
          Last edited by mazumoto; 08 February 2024, 05:06 AM. Reason: typos fixed

Comment

There is a lot of speculation that I could do for RDNA4, but it would be pointless. These will be priced slightly lower than the equivalent Nvidia cards perf/$. The only thing to be excited about is that it will use less power than previous generations, maybe.

Comment

Working...
            X