AMD's Advanced Media Framework Adds Pro Vulkan & Experimental RADV Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Advanced Media Framework Adds Pro Vulkan & Experimental RADV Support

Phoronix: AMD's Advanced Media Framework Adds Pro Vulkan & Experimental RADV Support

AMD's GPUOpen team today released version 1.4.33 of the Advanced Media Framework (AMF) SDK. The AMF SDK continues to be focused on delivering optimal access to AMD hardware for multimedia processing under both Windows and Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, but I'd prefer applications to start directly using Vulkan video. mpv already implemented some support. Looking forward to OBS, Firefox and others.

Though radv still needs an env variable to enable it.

Vulkan Video Decoding: Usage Guide and FAQ On the 28th of May, we reached the significant milestone of finally merging all the required functionality into ffmpeg, libplacebo, and mpv to do end-to-e...
    Last edited by shmerl; 23 January 2024, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Nice, but I'd prefer applications to start directly using Vulkan video. mpv already implemented some support. Looking forward to OBS, Firefox and others.

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/11739
      Maybe you don't know but long time ago AMF using own implementation on Vulkan Video. It was internal based on proprietary code from amdgpu-pro. It was at years before Khronos introduce that extension.
      Year ago I read that they want release it for RADV but Vulkan Video from Khronos still lacking a lot of features. So that was last blocker for AMF. But looks like this finally change and they release first version for RADV.
      Need to check if they use it directly right now, or smth else.

Anyway most of people use AMF for encoding. For encoding is more powerful than vaapi. As example when I last time tested it on my Rx 580 it completely overwhelmed RADV h264 vaapi in OBS studio. So yes, looks like good time for amd streamers/recording coming soon
      ​​​​​
      ​

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
        Anyway most of people use AMF for encoding. For encoding is more powerful than vaapi. As example when I last time tested it on my Rx 580 it completely overwhelmed RADV h264 vaapi in OBS studio. So yes, looks like good time for amd streamers/recording coming soon ​​​​​
        ​
        I assume Vulkan video encoding should expose whatever is needed, so it wouldn't be as limited as VAAPI.

But it might take a while to catch up. OBS just landed AV1 VAAPI encoding support.

Comment

This is pretty major, especially since it means polaris and vega will be able to use AMF. AMF is vastly superior to vaapi, in terms of both speed and configurability. so this is a major win for AMD, one they desperately needed IMO with the vega devices still being sold brand new. Now if only AMD could force all devices to use linux instead of windows, and they would be back in the fine category lmao

Comment

If I keep seeing headlines like this, I may be tempted to put together a new AMD-powered Linux mini-PC system, instead of my usual Intel buys.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
              If I keep seeing headlines like this, I may be tempted to put together a new AMD-powered Linux mini-PC system, instead of my usual Intel buys.
              personally I would still stick with intel, it's been showing a lot of promise. I've been daily running the a380 for a little while now as a primary gpu (rx580 as secondary) and honestly it's been pretty good, intel's vulkan driver still has a lot of issues with it don't get me wrong, but I've been daily running cosmic-epoch and it's actually been a really nice experience.

but thankfully as long as you do stick with linux, AMF was one of the last major issues for a lot of people. I personally am still missing vulkan HDR with direct drm applications, but other then that it's been pretty good lately.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/11739
                Hey look a this.

NVK will have mesh shaders support

Comment

All these improvements are great. I look forward to them.

What I would love to see is access to the GPU like Windows has but with the FOSS drivers. It would be nice to control voltage, fan speed, and the rest ... specifically for newer 7000 series.

Comment

Originally posted by bitterseeds View Post
                    All these improvements are great. I look forward to them.

What I would love to see is access to the GPU like Windows has but with the FOSS drivers. It would be nice to control voltage, fan speed, and the rest ... specifically for newer 7000 series.
                    correct me if i am wrong, but i thought kernel 6.5 brought voltage control for rdna3? i thought the only thing missing was fan control because that needs completely new infrastructure.

Comment

Working...
                    X