AMD RDNA3 Refresh Graphics Support May Be In Good Shape With Linux 6.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

The fact that we have two standards for this has been a nightmare. I wish DP would incorporate the few feature gaps from HDMI and kill it off entirely. How much human time / money has been wasted with screwing around with passive / active adapters, crap DP->HDMI / HDMI->DP cables, etc. over the years? DP is perpetually ahead on bandwidth which is the most important thing in terms of the foundation to build off of.
    I agree, I would like to only have DP too. I don't know why VESA doesn't add it to DP but my guess is patents.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

The fact that we have two standards for this has been a nightmare. I wish DP would incorporate the few feature gaps from HDMI and kill it off entirely.
      It's not about competing standards. It's about HDMI cartel being parasites and profiting on patents. They wouldn't want that to ever stop. So the only way for it to stop is to force all manufacturers to have DP (or DP capable USB-C), similar to how EU forced Apple to have USB-C. That would sort of kill off HDMI implicitly becasue no one will need it.
      Last edited by shmerl; 04 January 2024, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Great to see AMD work on enablement in timely fashion!

I prefer DP whenever I can, but I have one major gripe: the spec says that when the display is turned off, the display device is considered as removed altogether. This then triggers re-layout of desktop, which in turn introduces a spike in my blood pressure. I wish that was changed, or at least monitors allowing opt-in non-spec behavior for this...

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post
          This then triggers re-layout of desktop, which in turn introduces a spike in my blood pressure. I wish that was changed, or at least monitors allowing opt-in non-spec behavior for this...
          Its the DE/software which handles this case not the DP.
          And this is IMHO a bug. The DE knows how the spec works and should implement accordingly, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post

Its the DE/software which handles this case not the DP.
            And this is IMHO a bug. The DE knows how the spec works and should implement accordingly, not the other way around.
            There is one area related to this where HDMI tends to do better than DisplayPort. HDMI KVMs with EDID emulation (so when you switch to another source device, all the other devices still see the display as connected / on) are pretty common even on cheap units. The overwhelming majority of DisplayPort KVMs have no EDID emulation, even on extremely expensive DP KVMs.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I've never had either ARC or CEC work correctly.
              Either you're unlucky, or I'm lucky then. No issues with two Sony TVs, one with a Yamaha soundbar, the other with an Onkyo receiver and Sony BD player.

They also make things noticeably easier for me, not to mention that ARC is the only way to get high-bandwidth multi-channel sound from a TV to an external sound system.

Well, one thing which can be a tad annoying is that changing the sound system volume with the TV remote tends to be a bit sluggish.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Either you're unlucky, or I'm lucky then. No issues with two Sony TVs, one with a Yamaha soundbar, the other with an Onkyo receiver and Sony BD player.

They also make things noticeably easier for me, not to mention that ARC is the only way to get high-bandwidth multi-channel sound from a TV to an external sound system.

Well, one thing which can be a tad annoying is that changing the sound system volume with the TV remote tends to be a bit sluggish.
                I've had problems with 3 different TVs and various devices (soundbars, receivers, streaming media players, etc.). For the receiver, I can't get to the place where I can have one remote to control the TV and receiver power and the receiver volume; they just don't seem to want to talk. For one of the other TVs, when I use CEC to automatically change inputs, the TV always switches to overscan so part of the image gets cut off. Works fine if I disable CEC. Finally for the soundbar, ARC never seems to route the sound correctly. It always ends up using the TV speakers until I reconfigure it. It may work for a while, but always goes back to TV speakers eventually.

Comment

Working...
                X