AMD RDNA3 Refresh Graphics Support May Be In Good Shape With Linux 6.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD RDNA3 Refresh Graphics Support May Be In Good Shape With Linux 6.7

Phoronix: AMD RDNA3 Refresh Graphics Support May Be In Good Shape With Linux 6.7

With some last minute fixes sent out today, the upcoming Linux 6.7 kernel's AMDGPU driver will be in good shape for some upcoming AMD Radeon graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope that they finally resolve whatever issue is keeping proper HDMI 2.1 support in their drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
      I hope that they finally resolve whatever issue is keeping proper HDMI 2.1 support in their drivers.
      That's licensing/legal issues with the HDMI Forum...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

That's licensing/legal issues with the HDMI Forum...
        Thanks Michael.

I know, but I keep reading that they are "this close" in being able to push the proper solution, yet here we are.

Its so annoying and honestly makes me wonder why the hell are we using HDMI instead of DisplayPort for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Thanks Michael.

I know, but I keep reading that they are "this close" in being able to push the proper solution, yet here we are.

Its so annoying and honestly makes me wonder why the hell are we using HDMI instead of DisplayPort for everything.
          DP is missing features similar to ARC and CEC, mostly that.

That said, I don't think it would hurt TV-manufactures if they added one or two DP inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
            I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I've never had either ARC or CEC work correctly.

Comment

What's the point in having HDMI 2.1 support, when most hdmi cables in the market are of low quality compared to display port. Another so called feature of hdmi namely compression (DSC) being advertised as imperceptible is not something i would like to see in a professional workstation. There is a big difference in consumer grade standards with compromises and industrial standards for the professional sector. Hdmi is definitely a consumer standard for the mass market and not something i would use at work.

PS: Seems i was wrong about DSC. It is a lossy compression but "visually lossless", meaning users can not spot a difference with DSC on.
              Last edited by M.Bahr; 05 January 2024, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Bahr View Post
                What's the point in having HDMI 2.1 support, when most hdmi cables in the market are of low quality compared to display port. Another so called feature of hdmi namely compression (DSC) being advertised as imperceptible is not something i would like to see in a professional workstation. There is a big difference in consumer grade standards with compromises and industrial standards for the professional sector. Hdmi is definitely a consumer standard for the mass market and not something i would use at work.
                I hate to burst your bubble, but DSC is a VESA developed standard that works on DisplayPort too.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I've never had either ARC or CEC work correctly.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ARC has worked fine for me here with multiple AVRs / TVs.

Edit: CEC has been pretty solid too over the years here.
                  Last edited by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx; 04 January 2024, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

That said, I don't think it would hurt TV-manufactures if they added one or two DP inputs.
                    The fact that we have two standards for this has been a nightmare. I wish DP would incorporate the few feature gaps from HDMI and kill it off entirely. How much human time / money has been wasted with screwing around with passive / active adapters, crap DP->HDMI / HDMI->DP cables, etc. over the years? DP is perpetually ahead on bandwidth which is the most important thing in terms of the foundation to build off of.
                    Last edited by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx; 04 January 2024, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X