Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qarium View Post
    looks like there is something moving.... see here:
    I need vulkan support. My usecase is to run MPV via TTY, It may be possible to migrate to a wayland compositor, but unless a really minimal one like weston, smithay based like cosmic, or wlroots based like sway support HDR, it will be a no go for me

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I can't any longer gain any benefits that newer AMDVLK will provide, things like AMF which is still vastly superior to vaapi.
      I manage Open Source Graphics at AMD. Please elaborate on AMF vs. VAAPI so we can better understand your concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by twriter View Post

I manage Open Source Graphics at AMD. Please elaborate on AMF vs. VAAPI so we can better understand your concerns.
        There are multiple issues with VAAPI compared to AMF, but the primary concern to a lot of folk is speed. there are cases where AMF is significantly faster then VAAPI, to the point where people who contribute to sunshine, the open moonlight game streaming server, AMF is needed for those folks to get proper 4k60 streaming as vaapi can be too slow to achieve it https://github.com/LizardByte/Sunshi...omment-6074384

Also anecdotally, I find the quality:compression of vaapi to be considerably worse then AMF. specifically when encoding using ffmpeg as I am not aware of any other vaapi specific encoders.

It is also nice that AMF has a lot more configurability then VAAPI does, Some of the features does give us better tuning for more specific uses cases, we can set i/p/b frame qp independently, and quite helpful is transcoding usage.

OBS for me also benefits from AMF since it is both faster then VAAPI but also a higher quality

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

There are multiple issues with VAAPI compared to AMF, ...
          Thanks for the feedback. I will pass it on to the development team.

Comment

Working...
          X