No announcement yet.

AMDVLK 2023.Q4.3 Released With Counter-Strike 2 Optimization, VKD3D Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait to test this on my machine!... wait a second, maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      Can't wait to test this on my machine!... wait a second, maybe not.
      i still don't get your problem. i know you use this driver with your RX580 card and you use it for 10bit color space and HDR?
      in the past the developer resources where split between 2 (if you count the closed source driver then it is 3) drivers
      and now the developers just only focus on RADV/MESA what is in fact a improvement.

you act like you are sad that you can not use this new driver yet do you even have use for a new driver does the old one no longer work ?

it looks like the complete linux environment catch up on 10bit/HDR in the past only gamescope has such features newer news say KDE catch on
      and in the gnome camp they slowly work on that to.

i say it like that: in 3-6 month you can switch to RADV/MESA and it will be like all other driver never existed.

you have a intel gpu to but on intel you do not have this kind of distraction they say this is the official opensource driver you should use end of story
      and of course they develop a new driver for future use but then again they say the new one is the official one and end of story.

i really don't get why people like you advocate this driver chaos on the amd side what is more or less like sabotaging the afford of the open-source driver community.

this amdvlk driver in my point of view exist only for one simple reason that if amd release new unsupported hardware they can say there is a opensource driver you can use because no RADV driver exist for this new hardware and this has only legal law functions because in US law you can sue the company if they say there is opensource driver and the driver is maybe not ready at release date. outside of this lawyers "legal law" sense this driver makes no sense.

i instead i celebrate the end of amdvlk for polaris and vega hardware because we do not need 2 stupid opensource drivers we only need 1 opensource driver.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

i still don't get your problem. i know you use this driver with your RX580 card and you use it for 10bit color space and HDR?
        in the past the developer resources where split between 2 (if you count the closed source driver then it is 3) drivers
        and now the developers just only focus on RADV/MESA what is in fact a improvement.

you act like you are sad that you can not use this new driver yet do you even have use for a new driver does the old one no longer work ?

it looks like the complete linux environment catch up on 10bit/HDR in the past only gamescope has such features newer news say KDE catch on
        and in the gnome camp they slowly work on that to.

i say it like that: in 3-6 month you can switch to RADV/MESA and it will be like all other driver never existed.

you have a intel gpu to but on intel you do not have this kind of distraction they say this is the official opensource driver you should use end of story
        and of course they develop a new driver for future use but then again they say the new one is the official one and end of story.

i really don't get why people like you advocate this driver chaos on the amd side what is more or less like sabotaging the afford of the open-source driver community.

this amdvlk driver in my point of view exist only for one simple reason that if amd release new unsupported hardware they can say there is a opensource driver you can use because no RADV driver exist for this new hardware and this has only legal law functions because in US law you can sue the company if they say there is opensource driver and the driver is maybe not ready at release date. outside of this lawyers "legal law" sense this driver makes no sense.

i instead i celebrate the end of amdvlk for polaris and vega hardware because we do not need 2 stupid opensource drivers we only need 1 opensource driver.
        you do realize, I need to pin the old version right? on any new installs I need to go through package archives or compile myself right? I can't any longer gain any benefits that newer AMDVLK will provide, things like AMF which is still vastly superior to vaapi. Maybe I will be able to switch in the future, at least for now I will be able to run kwin on a seperate TTY and swap for HDR, but that still isn't that great as my current workflow uses openvt

This is not sabotaging AMD, AMD Is still selling apus with these deprecated gpus. This has everything to do with how absurdly scummy this move is. I will never buy AMD again, I will never recommend AMD again, I will talk shit on AMD gpus every goddamn chance I get, because this is absolutely unexcusable. AMD has sabotaged themselves.

They are even still advertising their chromebooks with them despite the 5000 series using vega gpus https://www.amd.com/en/processors/chromebook or the barcello devices which are thrown in with the other ryzen 7000 laptops https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ry...cessors-laptop

Comment

you do realize, I need to pin the old version right? on any new installs I need to go through package archives or compile myself right? I can't any longer gain any benefits that newer AMDVLK will provide, things like AMF which is still vastly superior to vaapi. Maybe I will be able to switch in the future, at least for now I will be able to run kwin on a seperate TTY and swap for HDR, but that still isn't that great as my current workflow uses openvt
          This is not sabotaging AMD, AMD Is still selling apus with these deprecated gpus. This has everything to do with how absurdly scummy this move is. I will never buy AMD again, I will never recommend AMD again, I will talk shit on AMD gpus every goddamn chance I get, because this is absolutely unexcusable. AMD has sabotaged themselves.
          They are even still advertising their chromebooks with them despite the 5000 series using vega gpus https://www.amd.com/en/processors/chromebook or the barcello devices which are thrown in with the other ryzen 7000 laptops https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ry...cessors-laptop
          that amd still sells notebook APUs with vega graphic really is strange.

but i still do not get why you think 10bit/HDR is not possible with RADV/MESA last time people fact checked this it turned out not to be a driver limitation but its the environment that lags this feature and gamescope was the only environment who had official this feature.
          i think KDE catched up on that feature.
          i think amd only did end the AMDVLK support for polaris and vega because they are pretty sure that soon RADV/MESA will be feature complete.
          and still its the linux environment who slowly catch up these features. bridgman told me his in the past that well from the driver side amd does everthing they can do. but the linux ecosystem is not ready for many features.

"[/B]I will never buy AMD again, I will never recommend AMD again, I will talk shit on AMD gpus every goddamn chance I get, because this is absolutely unexcusable."

your opinion to say this is based on hypothetical future events for example that your driver magically will stop working and that the MESA driver magically will not evolve and that the rest of the environment magically will not evolve to.
          and then in lets say 6 month it turns out that all your rampage here was unnecessary.

can't you unterstand the fact that supporting 2 drivers for polaris/vega is more expensive than only supporting 1 driver ?
          it was a bad idea from the start to have many drivers for the same hardware.

Comment

but i still do not get why you think 10bit/HDR is not possible with RADV/MESA last time people fact checked this it turned out not to be a driver limitation but its
            RADV does not support the extensions I need, as I have said, again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

your opinion to say this is based on hypothetical future events for example that your driver magically will stop working
            do not assume you know what my opinions are based on, you have constantly proven you have no idea, my opnions are based on the fact that these devices are pretty much now not supported on windows, and amdvlk, which is the official linux driver.

EDIT: Also I don't believe AMD supports radv directly, IIRC either bridgman oragd5f stated as much in the past
            Last edited by Quackdoc; 05 January 2024, 01:50 AM.

Comment

RADV does not support the extensions I need, as I have said, again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again.
              do not assume you know what my opinions are based on, you have constantly proven you have no idea, my opnions are based on the fact that these devices are pretty much now not supported on windows, and amdvlk, which is the official linux driver.
              EDIT: Also I don't believe AMD supports radv directly, IIRC either bridgman oragd5f stated as much in the past
              and you claim the extension you need can not be implemented in RADV ?
              if you check the radv git tree there are commits from people working for AMD.com...
              i do not say that amd does fix polaris or vega in radv but maybe other people do.

Comment

and you claim the extension you need can not be implemented in RADV ?
                if you check the radv git tree there are commits from people working for AMD.com...
                i do not say that amd does fix polaris or vega in radv but maybe other people do.
                Never claimed that, dont put words in my mouth

Comment

Never claimed that, dont put words in my mouth
                  yes you are right i do not claim that you said that its just a implication you imply that future RADV drivers will not fullfeed your needs.

Comment

yes you are right i do not claim that you said that its just a implication you imply that future RADV drivers will not fullfeed your needs.
                    no its not, I never implied it, in fact I explicitly know it will support it in the future currently, Im no time traveler, I dont live in the future however, I live now

Comment

no its not, I never implied it, in fact I explicitly know it will support it in the future currently, Im no time traveler, I dont live in the future however, I live now
                      looks like there is something moving.... see here:

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                      10 bpc support landed for mutter 46.alpha with mutter!3139 by yours truly.
                      HDR support is coming along, the next step is probably mutter!3433.

Comment

Working...
                      X