Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Details The MI300X & MI300A, Announces ROCm 6.0 Software

Phoronix: AMD Details The MI300X & MI300A, Announces ROCm 6.0 Software

At AMD's AI event today the company provided more details on their Instinct MI300 series for their very exciting data center APU and CDNA3 discrete GPU accelerator. ROCm 6.0 was also announced for advancing AMD's AI software capabilities.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The glaring question is always which GPUs AMD is gonna drop with every new ROCm iteration

Comment

Love how Our Holy Lady Dr. Lisa Su hammered in the fact that AMD uses as much open standards based tech as possible, unlike everyons favorite, Ngreedia and their proprietary crap.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
        Love how Our Holy Lady Dr. Lisa Su hammered in the fact that AMD uses as much open standards based tech as possible, unlike everyons favorite, Ngreedia and their proprietary crap.
        Just goes to show that open source is maters nothing, performance is everything!

That said, it looks like finally AMD is entering the building with ROCm.

Comment

Another day, another ROCm announcement that doesn't meaninfully expand the supported set of GPUs.

Comment

I feel that AMD doesn't like to expand ROCm support for consumer GPUs. Their mentality is changing a little, but they still see ROCm support as a "Premium" feature that should only be supported on the top of the line cards.

Comment

While it is understandable that such a technological masterpiece gets thrown into the server space first for a lot of money, I want to see a lower TDP Mi300A in notebooks and desktop PCs in a not too distant future. Lower the costs for the needed technologies, please, and make it happen!

Comment

COST? Can mere mortals afford one?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                  While it is understandable that such a technological masterpiece gets thrown into the server space first for a lot of money, I want to see a lower TDP Mi300A in notebooks and desktop PCs in a not too distant future. Lower the costs for the needed technologies, please, and make it happen!
                  You won't. It's enormous.

Anything fitting a consumer budget would be as different as desktop Ryzen is to EPYC. Plus, they have drawn a line in the sand at CDNA vs. RDNA. Anything consumer-oriented will be RDNA. That said, I had expected them to include a RDNA die in Ryzen, at the point where they wanted to add an iGPU. The whole chiplet architecture seems ripe for it, not to mention infinity cache!

Getting back to the idea of a cost-reduced MI300, probably the best you can hope for is probably like a ThreadRipper which has a CDNA die in there. Even that will probably be way too expensive for mere mortals.

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
                    COST? Can mere mortals afford one?
                    No.

My ballpark guess is that they originally targeted about $20k - $30k. It will have been designed back when H100's were targeting the price point of mere $20k or so.

Comment

Working...
                    X