Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LACT Is The Newest AMD Radeon GUI Control Panel For Linux

Phoronix: LACT Is The Newest AMD Radeon GUI Control Panel For Linux

While the open-source AMD Radeon Linux graphics driver is well received by the community, one of the longest sought features has been an official GUI control panel for managing the driver settings and the like under Linux with ease. AMD for their part exposes much of the same tunables available under Windows but is left to just command-line controls or software to poke different ioctls directly. LACT is now the newest open-source option for those wanting an AMD graphics driver control panel for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Being Linux users, presumably at least "Linux Support" will not need an extra telephone line or two when enthusiasts need return to the kitchen to fry a breakfast.

Comment

Hm, "GTK4-based app" ... no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
        I probably shouldn't take the bait, but... why?

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
          Come on don't be so silly.

I tried LACT on a Fed 39 installation and it worked as expected even on Renoir APU graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

I'll assume it's because they use KDE or some other non-GTK desktop environment because they don't like apps designed around the GNOME HIG with its headerbar fustercluck.

Comment

Should have used something like wx rather than gtk.

Comment

It's documented in Wikipedia:

Hong Jen Yee, developer of LXDE (the GTK version of which was dropped and all efforts focused on the Qt port), expressed disdain for version 3 of the GTK toolkit's radical API changes and increased memory usage, and ported PCMan File Manager (PCManFM) to Qt. PCManFM is being developed with a GTK and with a Qt backend at the same time.

Comment

I'm not speaking for the OP, but for me it's because GTK4 & Wayland are problematic when it comes to accessibility. As someone has increasingly had problems with vision and agility as I get older I find the almost universal disdain for disability and disabled users by some prominent UI projects impossible to swallow. "By the able, for the able, screw everyone else- it works for me" is pretty much how I've started seeing projects like Gnome, Wayland, GTK, etc.

Comment

For me this GUI style:
                    - looks ugly (even more so because it does not follow desktop themes)
                    - is dis-functional

just seeing the window title bar cluttered with all these buttons. Yikes!
                    Where am I supposed to click to move the window?
                    I really don't get why some people think this "modern" style is in any way better looking or functionally superior to the classic GUI styles that we are all used to since early Windows/Mac-OS, hell even Amiga-OS days:
                    E.g.: Let windows have a proper frame, that only is a frame and has only buttons to manage the window.
                    The App functionality belongs inside the frame.
                    There is a logic behind that concept, that gets completely broken with this "modern" style.

I really hope the KDE community doesn't feel pressured to more and more also follow these so called "modern" and "clean" looking GUI concepts that throw functionality, logical consistency and yes also looks over board...

Comment

Working...
                    X