Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiFive Gets Newer AMD Radeon GPUs Working On RISC-V

Phoronix: SiFive Gets Newer AMD Radeon GPUs Working On RISC-V

Thanks to AMD's Linux graphics drivers being open-source, they can be easily ported/adapted for new CPU architectures. For years older AMD Radeon GPUs have been working great on RISC-V such as shown in my HiFive Unmatched review back in 2021 with a Radeon graphics card in the PCI Express x16 slot. But newer AMD Radeon GPUs hadn't worked out-of-the-box due to AMDGPU's "DC" display code but that is changing with new patches from SiFive they are allowing the latest AMD GPUs to work on RISC-V...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Niiiiiiiice

Comment

I wanted to buy Vision Five board from SiFive (something like Raspberry Pi but with RISC-V CPU) but Linux support is still not complete (as far I know no popular distro officially supports RISC-V and you need to use some unofficial builds). Good to know that it is improving.

Comment

Is amdgpu the only user of the FPU in kernel?

Comment

This is great news but I thought they laid off most of their staff. From the sound of it, I had the impression that they were going out of business

Comment

Originally posted by ppcorp View Post
            This is great news but I thought they laid off most of their staff. From the sound of it, I had the impression that they were going out of business
            20% distributed across all departments. Significant, no doubt, but hardly "most".

Comment

Looking forward to the Sipeed mini-itx (or microatx?) board with SiFive 16x P670 + 8x X280 TBA around July 2024.

That implements RVA22 and Vector 1.0, with sufficiently serious performance (similar to Cortex-A77 per clock + high clocks) to use as desktop/workstation.

Other boards from other vendors with RVA22+V are also expected in 2024, but we don't know about them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
                Looking forward to the Sipeed mini-itx (or microatx?) board with SiFive 16x P670 + 8x X280 TBA around July 2024.

That implements RVA22 and Vector 1.0, with sufficiently serious performance (similar to Cortex-A77 per clock + high clocks) to use as desktop/workstation.

Other boards from other vendors with RVA22+V are also expected in 2024, but we don't know about them yet.
                why not milkv oasis? it's seems to be more or less the same but considerably cheaper, sipeed is anouncing around 300 dollars for their's https://nitter.net/SipeedIO/status/1...199834296818#m when the milk-v oasis is around 120 usd with a 20% pre-order. https://community.milkv.io/t/introdu...perience/780/2.

uses the same SG2380 soc, so I/O will be mostly the same, pcie gen 4 , decent gpu etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  the milk-v oasis is around 120 usd.
                  I don't for one moment believe MILK-V (who I've bought several products from) can deliver such a board for $120. Sipeed said in a tweet that $120 is the price of the SoC.

Comment

Originally posted by ppcorp View Post
                    That is ridiculous. Startups have layoffs of this size all the time. I was one of 80 laid off from SiFive on Feb 6 2020 (close to 20%), and they had more layoffs in May 2020 (including both of the managers who had helped deliver the great news to me in February). I actually didn't mind too much as it gave me a good reason to return home to New Zealand for COVID, and it's now much easier to get a deal to permanently work remotely from NZ than it was pre-COVID.

Other companies are having similar layoffs at the moment.

I remember Boeing laying off 30,000 people in 2001, about 15% of a much much larger company.

Don't take sensationalist vloggers at face value, even (especially) if they flaunt a PhD.

Comment

Working...
                    X