Mesa Radeon Vulkan Driver "RADV" Works Around Bugs For Unreal Engine 4 & 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

marked for back-porting to the Mesa 23.3/23.2 stable series
    Any sign of further releases in the 23.2 series?

Comment

Originally posted by Cryio View Post
      I basically use RADV_ZERO_VRAM=false with literally any game. It either does nothing or it improves framepacing.

It also seems to impact DX12 titles (not UE4/5 DX12 necessarily) way more than DX11 titles.
      Isn't that the default?

Comment

AMD's driver on Windows Zero's Vram by Default.

Who knows why they're telling the driver to zero vram for specific applications instead
        of fixing all known & unknown issues caused by not having the Driver on Linux do the same.

They'd rather Keep adding Exceptions to that List.

Comment

Originally posted by ATFx View Post
          Who knows why they're telling the driver to zero vram for specific applications instead
          Performance. It's not like it's a secret.

They are doing this by checking for the engine name, by the way, not specific application names. That's one thing Vulkan improved over OpenGL, so they don't have to update this every time a new Unreal game comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Performance. It's not like it's a secret.
            by the way, not specific application names.
            Incorrect, it only applies to the Engines, not the Games. Which are both types of apps anyway.

Having Radv Zero Vram fixes any Application that does not Properly Handle its own Cache & Hardware is more then Capable of Operating.
            With how Performant AMD's Hardware is in general & only Gets more these things are inconvenient & inefficient.
            These Developers Treat Linux like its inherently Dysfunctional & Incapable of doing anything as much as HW.
            So much they actually Disadvantage, it's Performance & Appeal.​

Comment

Did somebody add such an issue to Ue4/ue5 bug tracker?

Comment

Originally posted by ATFx View Post

Incorrect, it only applies to the Engines, not the Games. Which are both types of apps anyway.
                I think you misread my post, because that's exactly what I said.

Comment

Working...
                X