X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by ATFx View Post

Incorrect, it only applies to the Engines, not the Games. Which are both types of apps anyway.
    I think you misread my post, because that's exactly what I said.

Leave a comment:

• stalkerg
    replied
    Did somebody add such an issue to Ue4/ue5 bug tracker?

Leave a comment:

• ATFx
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Performance. It's not like it's a secret.
    by the way, not specific application names.
    Incorrect, it only applies to the Engines, not the Games. Which are both types of apps anyway.

Having Radv Zero Vram fixes any Application that does not Properly Handle its own Cache & Hardware is more then Capable of Operating.
    With how Performant AMD's Hardware is in general & only Gets more these things are inconvenient & inefficient.
    These Developers Treat Linux like its inherently Dysfunctional & Incapable of doing anything as much as HW.
    So much they actually Disadvantage, it's Performance & Appeal.​

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by ATFx View Post
    Who knows why they're telling the driver to zero vram for specific applications instead
    Performance. It's not like it's a secret.

They are doing this by checking for the engine name, by the way, not specific application names. That's one thing Vulkan improved over OpenGL, so they don't have to update this every time a new Unreal game comes out.

Leave a comment:

• ATFx
    replied
    AMD's driver on Windows Zero's Vram by Default.

Who knows why they're telling the driver to zero vram for specific applications instead
    of fixing all known & unknown issues caused by not having the Driver on Linux do the same.

They'd rather Keep adding Exceptions to that List.

Leave a comment:

• Kjell
    replied
    Originally posted by Cryio View Post
    I basically use RADV_ZERO_VRAM=false with literally any game. It either does nothing or it improves framepacing.

It also seems to impact DX12 titles (not UE4/5 DX12 necessarily) way more than DX11 titles.
    Isn't that the default?

Leave a comment:

• ResponseWriter
    replied
    marked for back-porting to the Mesa 23.3/23.2 stable series
    Any sign of further releases in the 23.2 series?

Leave a comment:

• Cryio
    replied
    I basically use RADV_ZERO_VRAM=false with literally any game. It either does nothing or it improves framepacing.

It also seems to impact DX12 titles (not UE4/5 DX12 necessarily) way more than DX11 titles.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Oops, I think I've spread misinformation and confused RADV_DEBUG=zerovram with radv_zero_vram=false . Need to read up a bit, sorry...

Leave a comment:

• Serafean
    replied
    Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Other than the risk of visual glitches, does it improve performance to have it on all the time or is UE4/UE5 a edge case?
    It shouldn't be able to improve performance. Allocation is a simple operation, a few pointers changed, a few counters updated. Zeroing the allocated area requires writeback to physical memory of the whole range. (barring special optimizations for zeroing out, which do exist, so at best it can be only as expensive as allocation)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X