No announcement yet.

Terakan Driver Continues Working To Bring Vulkan To The Radeon HD 6000 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really care much about performance. It's way more impactful that there's even a vulkan API available for this GPU *at all.*

I've run into stuff in the past, especially with proton, where a vulkan API is a HARD requirement. Doesn't matter if the thing I'm trying to run is barely loading the GPU, it needs a version of directx that can only be layered over vulkan.

Sooner or later lots more stuff is going to be like that, with new software being developed by default with vulkan support and skipping openGL. Once DEs themselves cross that threshold, not having a vulkan driver basically turns a GPU (and potentially the whole machine) into a brick.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
      I don't really care much about performance. It's way more impactful that there's even a vulkan API available for this GPU *at all.*

I've run into stuff in the past, especially with proton, where a vulkan API is a HARD requirement. Doesn't matter if the thing I'm trying to run is barely loading the GPU, it needs a version of directx that can only be layered over vulkan.

Sooner or later lots more stuff is going to be like that, with new software being developed by default with vulkan support and skipping openGL. Once DEs themselves cross that threshold, not having a vulkan driver basically turns a GPU (and potentially the whole machine) into a brick.
      DXVK requires a pretty advanced version of Vulkan, unfortunately. Just supporting the basic Vulkan 1.0 doesn't cut it.

DEs will hopefully be much more compatible.

Comment

On the article Michael claim that Terakan woul support Terascale 2 and 3. I have found info only about Terascale 3, anyone can confirm that terakan would run on Terascale2? Cedar was used on the HD5450 and still used on HD6350. I will be very interested for compatibility purpose.

Comment

Working...
        X