No announcement yet.

Terakan Driver Continues Working To Bring Vulkan To The Radeon HD 6000 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terakan Driver Continues Working To Bring Vulkan To The Radeon HD 6000 Series

Phoronix: Terakan Driver Continues Working To Bring Vulkan To The Radeon HD 6000 Series

While AMD officially supports a much narrower range of more recent Radeon hardware with their official graphics drivers for Windows (and Linux - as it pertains to their Radeon Software for Linux packaged driver and AMDVLK official Vulkan driver), thanks to the open-source community around AMD's open-source driver code there are always nifty things that come about... As I wrote about earlier this year, an independent developer has been striving to bring Vulkan to the Radeon HD 6000 series. Yes, the 13 year old "Northern Islands" graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This Hero(tm) rides saltwater crocs in his spare time.

Comment

KDevelop...
      I went through quite a few IDEs. Always come back to KDevelop too.

Hats off. Triang3l If you need testing, I have a 6950 laying around somewhere. Not willing to part with it though :/

Comment

Heck yeah! Triang3l has got triangles!!!
        Great work, and congrats on this milestone @Triang3l!!!

Comment

As the owner of a terascale2 GPU myself i bet it will have similar fate as Vulkan On Haswell. But anyway, congrats for the wonderful work!

Comment

I think this is great, and illustrates why FLOSS software has its benefits.

It's water under the bridge now, but the amdgpu driver dropped support for the VGA output of the A10-7300 APU, which worked using the Radeon driver. Essentially, AMD had other priorities for its graphics driver developers, so even though it probably wasn't a big issue to resolve, no time was ever allocated for it. So I bought an HDMI-to-VGA adapter.

Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to modify the driver myself, but it's nice that in principle, it could have been possible.

Comment

Kudos to this work which shows that FOSS is good. Okay, AMD doesn't have the capacities to get the old HW feature complete or try interesting "hacks", but thanks to the free driver, the documentation etc. bold heroes from the community (or other enterprises) can step up and create good things.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

This is where open source shines. Even old and basically abandoned hardware can get new features because somebody is interested in implementing them.

Comment

Originally posted by wilsontulus View Post
                  As the owner of a terascale2 GPU myself i bet it will have similar fate as Vulkan On Haswell. But anyway, congrats for the wonderful work!
                  What do you mean? I mean, a dedicated dev could work on that project solo, just like Triang3l is on this!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    Kudos to this work which shows that FOSS is good. Okay, AMD doesn't have the capacities to get the old HW feature complete or try interesting "hacks", but thanks to the free driver, the documentation etc. bold heroes from the community (or other enterprises) can step up and create good things.
                    Considering that Nvidia put Vulkan in their Maxwell GPU's, this should have happened to AMD's 5000 and 6000 GPUs.

Comment

Working...
                    X