Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases HIP RT 2.1 For Radeon Ray-Tracing

Phoronix: AMD Releases HIP RT 2.1 For Radeon Ray-Tracing

AMD today announced the release of HIP RT 2.1, the newest version of its HIP ray-tracing library for use by Blender and other software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

kann we have AMD Radeon 7900XTX benchmarks with blender 4.0 or newer with HIP and HIP-RT ???
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
      Michael

kann we have AMD Radeon 7900XTX benchmarks with blender 4.0 or newer with HIP and HIP-RT ???
      Es funktioniert noch immer nicht.

At least, that's what it sounds like. The latest update on the Blender website regarding HIP-RT & Linux is that it doesn't work yet. The only mentions of Blender and Linux/HIP/HIP-RT, I found here:

No mention of it or an update in the Release Notes for ver. 4.0

HIPRT enables AMD hardware ray tracing on RDNA2 and above and fallbacks to shader implementation for graphic cards that support HIP but not hardware ray tracing. The ray tracing feature functions are accessed through HIPRT SDK (available on GPUOpen). HIPRT SDK allows the developer to build the b...

That could be outdated by now - 8 mths ago or perhaps, it's still applicable?

There are two things going on here: A user earlier in this thread reported that HIP-RT in 4.0 was slower than HIP in 4.0. When looking at testing in 3.6, they observe the opposite, so this seemed concerning. What Toms hardware (and some other people) have observed. GPU rendering in Cycles seems to be slower in 4.0 compared to 3.6. Brecht has made a comment on the general slow down (the Toms hardware thing). Render times typically should not be directly compared between major Blender/...

I already showed you this link, right?

"This converts radv_CmdBuildAccelerationStructuresKHR to a simple shim that pushes the actual build commands to a queue, where they are accumulated and dispatched as late as possible. This helps especially with games that don't do any build command batching of their own. For example, it triples the performance of Hitman 3." This is Vulkan. Cycles uses HIP to render. The 3x boost is in a single game. As the quote says, the boost is from batching commands to build the BVH, which even if Cycles...

This is one of the most recent reports I could find.

Perhaps, the wait here is for HIP-RT to go out of experimental - at least, on Windows? But, if there is to be any attempt to see how Blender 3.6 or 4.0 does with a 7900 XTX using HIP-RT - Windows should be tried first - one could make some estimations how it could do in Linux - but, my guess is any attempt to use it in Linux, will be met with issues....at least, that's my prediction - at the present time.

I welcome the attempt, though - maybe he'll try it for New Year's?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        Es funktioniert noch immer nicht.
        At least, that's what it sounds like. The latest update on the Blender website regarding HIP-RT & Linux is that it doesn't work yet. The only mentions of Blender and Linux/HIP/HIP-RT, I found here:

No mention of it or an update in the Release Notes for ver. 4.0
        HIPRT enables AMD hardware ray tracing on RDNA2 and above and fallbacks to shader implementation for graphic cards that support HIP but not hardware ray tracing. The ray tracing feature functions are accessed through HIPRT SDK (available on GPUOpen). HIPRT SDK allows the developer to build the b...

That could be outdated by now - 8 mths ago or perhaps, it's still applicable?
        There are two things going on here: A user earlier in this thread reported that HIP-RT in 4.0 was slower than HIP in 4.0. When looking at testing in 3.6, they observe the opposite, so this seemed concerning. What Toms hardware (and some other people) have observed. GPU rendering in Cycles seems to be slower in 4.0 compared to 3.6. Brecht has made a comment on the general slow down (the Toms hardware thing). Render times typically should not be directly compared between major Blender/...

I already showed you this link, right?
        "This converts radv_CmdBuildAccelerationStructuresKHR to a simple shim that pushes the actual build commands to a queue, where they are accumulated and dispatched as late as possible. This helps especially with games that don't do any build command batching of their own. For example, it triples the performance of Hitman 3." This is Vulkan. Cycles uses HIP to render. The 3x boost is in a single game. As the quote says, the boost is from batching commands to build the BVH, which even if Cycles...

This is one of the most recent reports I could find.
        Perhaps, the wait here is for HIP-RT to go out of experimental - at least, on Windows? But, if there is to be any attempt to see how Blender 3.6 or 4.0 does with a 7900 XTX using HIP-RT - Windows should be tried first - one could make some estimations how it could do in Linux - but, my guess is any attempt to use it in Linux, will be met with issues....at least, that's my prediction - at the present time.
        I welcome the attempt, though - maybe he'll try it for New Year's?
        in computer tech 8 month is a long time. i think these old reports are not true anymore.

we plain and simple need new test results.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

in computer tech 8 month is a long time. i think these old reports are not true anymore.

we plain and simple need new test results. Run 3
          I welcome the attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by evawillms View Post

I welcome the attempt.
            I doubt you'll see any attempt - the situation hasn't changed much - I've read some of the blender developer forum chats - ppl are still complaining about poor support by AMD in Blender including reports/complaints by Linux users. (Not just Windows users).

Comment

Working...
            X