No announcement yet.

AMD RDNA3 Vulkan Ray-Tracing Performance Is Now Usable With Ubuntu 23.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you enable ray tracing Michael? Is there environment variable or?

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

With mesa 23.2.1 I did get a significant increase in RT performance in Dying Light 2 on Arch with 7900XTX myself.

I think it's thanks to KHR_ray_tracing_pipeline
      That sounds fantastic.

I'd love to run Arch if it weren't for the fact that there's no MAC (SELinux) in there by default with a sane configuration. It is something that concerns me a lot and the main reason why I don't run Arch and instead go for the Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post

I can't recall if I tried that or not. The issue with the .deb installer I used (from the Ubuntu repos I think?) was there were a few Wayland-related dependencies missing (maybe lib32 variants?), could have been some different versioning issue or something like that.

The main gripe with the snap version was that I the game of choice at the moment - Trackmania 2020 - wouldn't launch at all. It would just crash, no matter what I did.​ I never tried any other games. The same hardware runs it "just fine" on Manjaro Plasma.

Actually, I didn't know there's a flatpak version available!
        The crashing in Trackmania 2020 is most likely down to Uplay and not Snap: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/6637 where your Manjaro install of it perhaps is older (so from back when the Uplay version worked) or you just got lucky (those damn 3d party launchers are finicky as hell).

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
          How did you enable ray tracing Michael? Is there environment variable or?
          OK, from looks of it, media-libs/mesa-23.2 - has RT enabled by default.
          I may even have enabled it in Metro Exodus. See barely any improvement or at all. After game restart - I do notice frame rate drop AND setting stays on for RT.
          All in all, so far I don't see how it's worth it.

Tried same in Cyberpunk 2077 - can't change RT setting there.

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post

I can't recall if I tried that or not. The issue with the .deb installer I used (from the Ubuntu repos I think?) was there were a few Wayland-related dependencies missing (maybe lib32 variants?), could have been some different versioning issue or something like that.

The main gripe with the snap version was that I the game of choice at the moment - Trackmania 2020 - wouldn't launch at all. It would just crash, no matter what I did.​ I never tried any other games. The same hardware runs it "just fine" on Manjaro Plasma.

Actually, I didn't know there's a flatpak version available!
            Wouldn't be the first time TM2020 was fiddly. At least we are past the Lutris+Ubisoft Connect days...

Comment

Working...
            X