AMD RDNA3 Vulkan Ray-Tracing Performance Is Now Usable With Ubuntu 23.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD RDNA3 Vulkan Ray-Tracing Performance Is Now Usable With Ubuntu 23.10

Phoronix: AMD RDNA3 Vulkan Ray-Tracing Performance Is Now Usable With Ubuntu 23.10

With today's release of Ubuntu 23.10 not only is the performance improved nicely for modern AMD Ryzen systems, but as usual the open-source graphics performance has enjoyed some nice performance improvements, new Vulkan extensions, and more particularly when it comes to the AMD Radeon and Intel graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How's Fedora 38/39 in comparison? When did the Mesa improvements come?

Comment

Is it possible to install Steam natively on 23.10 and not as a snap? I didn't manage to do it with 23.04 and thus yeeted Ubuntu out of the window - once again. I wanted to give it a try, but it was, ahem, painful.

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post
        Is it possible to install Steam natively on 23.10 and not as a snap? I didn't manage to do it with 23.04 and thus yeeted Ubuntu out of the window - once again. I wanted to give it a try, but it was, ahem, painful.
        Valve hosts the .deb at https://repo.steampowered.com/steam/ but that said there should be zero problems running Steam as a snap, there are zero benefits from running it "natively" since the "native" is basically a image itself bundled with all the dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post
          With mesa 23.2.1 I did get a significant increase in RT performance in Dying Light 2 on Arch with 7900XTX myself.

I think it's thanks to KHR_ray_tracing_pipeline

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post
            Why didn't you try the flatpak one if you don't like snaps?

Comment

If (I'm not sure) the benefits are from Mesa 23.2... It didn't land in F38 yet https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...a&releases=F38

And 23.1 didn't seem to be doing anything related to RT on 7000 https://www.phoronix.com/news/Mesa-23.1-Released

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                Valve hosts the .deb at https://repo.steampowered.com/steam/ but that said there should be zero problems running Steam as a snap, there are zero benefits from running it "natively" since the "native" is basically a image itself bundled with all the dependencies.
                I can't recall if I tried that or not. The issue with the .deb installer I used (from the Ubuntu repos I think?) was there were a few Wayland-related dependencies missing (maybe lib32 variants?), could have been some different versioning issue or something like that.

The main gripe with the snap version was that I the game of choice at the moment - Trackmania 2020 - wouldn't launch at all. It would just crash, no matter what I did.​ I never tried any other games. The same hardware runs it "just fine" on Manjaro Plasma.

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                Why didn't you try the flatpak one if you don't like snaps?
                Actually, I didn't know there's a flatpak version available!

Comment

Is it just me or do the plots have needlessly many decimal places? Zero or one are enough here.

Comment

Seek for word mesa in Phoronix search menu, there are many articles about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X