AMD Color Management Improvements For Linux & The Steam Deck Continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Color Management Improvements For Linux & The Steam Deck Continue

Phoronix: AMD Color Management Improvements For Linux & The Steam Deck Continue

Melissa Wen with consulting firm Igalia continues working with AMD and Valve engineers on supporting AMD driver-specific color management properties for Linux to benefit the Steam Deck but ultimately to benefit all AMD Linux users as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A few years too late(AMD, Wayland devs), but hey, thank you Melissa, all the same!

Comment

Will this be usable by other compositors as well?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        Will this be usable by other compositors as well?
        Yes but it's a matter of other compositor developers stepping up to make use of it.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I hope this will make HDR work on the Deck soon.
          I've opted to try the main software channel to update my Deck to SteamOS beta 3.5.. but enabling HDR causes everything to be very bright...

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
            A few years too late(AMD, Wayland devs), but hey, thank you Melissa, all the same!
            What about the saying “better late than never”?

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
              I've opted to try the main software channel to update my Deck to SteamOS beta 3.5.. but enabling HDR causes everything to be very bright...
              I hope it will make HDR work on the desktop too. They are using KDE as a base on the Deck and I would love to have HDR working on desktop KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yes but it's a matter of other compositor developers stepping up to make use of it.
                Let's hope so, thanks!

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I hope it will make HDR work on the desktop too. They are using KDE as a base on the Deck and I would love to have HDR working on desktop KDE.

​Yeah I too hope Plasma devs will support this soon, switching to a TTY for HDR isn't a great experience...

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                  Uh.. you do realize the current Steam Deck's built-in screen isn't HDR capable right, and neither are most games? It takes Windows + HDR enabled game + an external HDR monitor. I only bother mentioning it because the symptom "everything to be very bright" or washed out is what happens when you enable HDR on devices and games incapable of handling it.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Uh.. you do realize the current Steam Deck's built-in screen isn't HDR capable right, and neither are most games? It takes Windows + HDR enabled game + an external HDR monitor. I only bother mentioning it because the symptom "everything to be very bright" or washed out is what happens when you enable HDR on devices and games incapable of handling it.
                    When I got my Deck I used it in handheld mode for a while, but with the jsaux dock and EmuDeck installed it became the family console for games.
                    We're playing a lot of Mario Kart 8 using the switch emulator.

So it's permanently connected to our LG TV which supports HDR just fine using any other device.
                    But for some reason when I enable HDR the colors (on the TV) are very bright and washed out.
                    Furthermore, the game I tried (Spiderman Miles Morales) doesn't detect a HDR capable screen.
                    So I think SteamOS 3.5 is still a bit early in development when it comes to HDR support.

Comment

Working...
                    X