Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tball View Post
    @bridgman and @agd5f

The Option "EXANoDownloadFromScreen" did actually help. No visible corruptions anymore, but with ForceLowPowerMode turned on the computer freeze when login out, shutting down or suspending. I have to hold down the power button to shut down.

When it isn't enabled everithing works.

So, how much does the ForceLowPowerMode option do more than de other options? Can I leave it disabled?
    You don't have to enable any of the pm options. ForceLowPowerMode runs the card at lower clocks all the time. DynamicPM only lowers the clocks when the displays go to sleep (dpms off). PM is very tricky to get right on all boards. I suspect we may need to change clocks more gradually in limited steps rather than changing the clock completely in one go or some additional delays are needed here and there.

EDIT: as noted by bridgman, the PCIE lane changing code is probably to blame on multi-GPU cards. You could test by removing the calls to set the PCIE lanes in the pm code in radeon_pm.c in the ddx.
    Last edited by agd5f; 08 July 2009, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post
      Apologies for this being off topic but I've got another question about Ubuntu 9.04 and fglrx and I thought I'd ask it while the ATi brains were about. On my server, which as mentioned uses a 790GX + SB750 chipset, the monitor blanks when not being used but never seems to go into DPMS off (light never flashes, screen still glowing with backlight bleed, comes back on instantly when mouse moves). Not sure if this is fglrx not playing nice or an Ubuntu setting I can't find.
      Geez, if someone posts about the 600/700 3D driver it's going to seem like *they're* off topic

I don't know much about this area at all; please start a new thread in the proprietary driver area.

Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post
      bridgman: A realy OSS radeon driver question, how did unravelling the UVD2 on the 780G go? Can it be made available without compromising the DRM (the bad kind) part? Is it the same UVD2 as on the 790GX?
      Haven't gotten to it yet, still working on things we may need for fininshing 6xx/7xx memory management. 780G and 790GX have the same generation of UVD hardware, an early version of UVD2 IIRC.
      Test signature

Comment

For those of you with x2 cards having problems with ForceLowPowerMode, please try the patch attached to this bug:

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Geez, if someone posts about the 600/700 3D driver it's going to seem like *they're* off topic
          Getting back on topic :-)

I read redbook hello is working for devs now so decided to try with r6xx-rewrite.

RV670 AGP card
          agd5f modules on 2.6.26.5
          xf86-video-ati from yesterday
          todays mesa git (built with --disable-gallium to avoid a build error)

r6xx-rewrite locks up - SysRq able, no output to dmesg, but some normal looking but I guess truncated debugging output to terminal.

6xx-r7xx-support works (although it loses the image if window moved)

Comment

I was testing last night on an rv620 and comparing notes with the other devs; seems like there are some problems on 6xx which don't happen on rv770 (which is what the devs generally have in their systems). Once the two big issues (timestamp generation for memory buffer aging and making texture code work with the new bufmgr) are knocked off I don't expect the 6xx vs 7xx issues will survive for long.

Did you get any output on the screen ? One thing I found is that I had to move the terminal window used to run the tests away from the top left corner of the screen, or the terminal scroll would over-write whatever the test app displayed.
            Last edited by bridgman; 08 July 2009, 01:43 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Did you get any output on the screen ? One thing I found is that I had to move the terminal window used to run the tests away from the top left corner of the screen, or the terminal scroll would over-write whatever the test app displayed.
              Thanks for the info.

I just tried again with the xterm out of the way, but nothing gets drawn.

The output to the xterm seems the same as last time -

vertex shader
              18 lines of 4 hex nums
              pixel shader
              3 lines of 4 hex nums.

The mouse is still smooth and CPU sounds unloaded (I have a noisy CPU fan with it's own temp sensor so can easily hear when it's loaded), but I can't do anything apart from SysRq.

Comment

OK, at least your hang sounds like my hang, so it shouldn't be too evil to find and fix

I'm going to swap out the rv620 for an rv770 today, repeat the testing and see what happens.
                Test signature

Comment

witnessing real open source magic

Comment

Thanks agd5f, that patch worked for me. I left the bug open for now because I think there might be other power-related issues still, mainly sleep mode related that I'll be testing later.

I'm on Gentoo so I just put that patch into a custom ebuild... when should I expect that to hit the main git repo so that I can go back to the default -9999 ebuild?

Edit: Nice, looking at the bug report it already has. Will this patch likely fix the hang going into sleep mode also?
                    Last edited by Vash63; 08 July 2009, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
                      Edit: Nice, looking at the bug report it already has. Will this patch likely fix the hang going into sleep mode also?
                      If the hang is due to DynamicPM, then yes it will fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X