AMD Readies "New Stuff" For Linux 6.6 Graphics Driver, AMDGPU DC For RISC-V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Readies "New Stuff" For Linux 6.6 Graphics Driver, AMDGPU DC For RISC-V

Phoronix: AMD Readies "New Stuff" For Linux 6.6 Graphics Driver, AMDGPU DC For RISC-V

Sent out today was a batch of "new stuff" for the AMDGPU and AMDKFD kernel graphics drivers for queuing in DRM-Next ahead of the Linux 6.6 merge window opening in about one month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

RISC-V is inevitable.

Comment

there are actually a couple promising boards with pcie, I can see risc-v desktops being a real thing unlike arm

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        there are actually a couple promising boards with pcie, I can see risc-v desktops being a real thing unlike arm
        It's still far away from matching price and performance of AMDs and Intels offerings. Maybe we'll be able to see something in about 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
          RISC-V is inevitable.
          Now that you said it it's truly inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
            It's still far away from matching price and performance of AMDs and Intels offerings. Maybe we'll be able to see something in about 10 years.
            Price, can't say. But you won't have to wait 10 years for Performance and Power, as the RISC-V microarchitecture "Ascalon" is due 2024:

Wei-han Lien is Tenstorrent's Chief RISC-V Architect, and he's been lead designer on chips like Apple's M1. Now he heads up a team building the highest-perfo...

Note how the performance of the RISC-V Ascalon microarchitecture is comparable to the projected performance of Zen5. They will both release in 2024.

RISC-V is inevitable.

Comment

Price is an important factor on the desktop.

Comment

it's not about matching it or even getting within the same ballpark, this has been a stupid argument for nearly a decade now (what a coincidence), I can run a dual core i3 2100 and have a usable desktop, we have long surpassed the point at which performance is needed for the average consumer, all thats needed is to meet the usable threshold, with a decent cost.

now for risc-v, it aint here yet, don't get me wrong, but 1-4 years assuming we see devices with working pcie slots is IMO an easy bet. I would actually argue there are devices that meet the criterion for minimum preformance needed already, albiet lacking in cost. within 4 years? yeah I can see there being people using them as desktops easily

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

it's not about matching it or even getting within the same ballpark, this has been a stupid argument for nearly a decade now (what a coincidence), I can run a dual core i3 2100 and have a usable desktop, we have long surpassed the point at which performance is needed for the average consumer, all thats needed is to meet the usable threshold, with a decent cost.
                  Only if you completely ignore gaming.

Comment

Only if you completely ignore gaming.
                    that's just a segment, a very vocal segment among the internet granted, but a segment none the less, and how true is that anyways, well it highly depends on the game, let's take a look at online games, it is quite the vocal segment, and a large chunk of "gamers" play predominately online games. steams game rankings by 24h popularity, granted this will fluctuate, of the top 10, 4-5 are still "playable" on a machine like this, granted it wouldnt be great, but step it up to a i5 2600 and you would still have an competent 1080p experience. go by twinfinite's top of 2023 so far and it's more like 6-7 of the top 10, the gamer's top 13 ranking is 9-10/13 games.

"Gamers" don't need high end systems anymore, and like before haven't for a long time, some gamers do yes, but I don't think it's a safe assumption that even ignoring gaming, that the statement is wrong to a large degree.

Comment

Working...
                    X