Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases HIP SDK For Windows

Phoronix: AMD Releases HIP SDK For Windows

This afternoon AMD announced the availability of the HIP SDK for Microsoft Windows as a portion of their ROCm computing platform with support for various professional and consumer GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm confused. According to AMD ROCm Doc, RDNA3 GPUs are listed as supported under windows, but they are totally missing under Linux. Is it not supported or just not listed?

Linux Supported List
    Windows Supported List

Comment

No no, AMD got this all wrong, supporting platforms? what's next? supporting GPUs???? If they continue like this they are going to ruin the meme of ROCm being awful.

Comment

Originally posted by gnattu View Post
        I'm confused. According to AMD ROCm Doc, RDNA3 GPUs are listed as supported under windows, but they are totally missing under Linux. Is it not supported or just not listed?

Linux Supported List
        Windows Supported List
        They are updating docs https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm/pulse

And actually the HIP runtime on Windows supports Vega in blender even if it’s not listed.

Comment

Originally posted by gnattu View Post

Linux Supported List
          Windows Supported List
          i only have amd hardware based computers and i only do buy amd hardware BUT...
          I honestly have no fucking clue what AMD is doing here....
          and this for many years... i never did get my Vega64 run with HIP/ROCm but they claim Fedora now new did upsteam everything to make it run...
          i only see people totally confused about ROCm/HIP...

it looks like no one knows what is supported and what runs and so one.

on linux they list only Instinct compute cards and on windows they only list workstation cards "AMD Radeonâ„¢ Pro W"

and someone who buy a AMD Radeon 7900XTX for 1000€ they have no fucking clue if this works or not.

also funny according to this list GCN5.1 is supported on linux but not on windows....

as always great shit-show... i really do not unterstand why AMD is unwillingly to just support their hardware as the customers expect it... if someone buy a 1000€ 7900XTX they plain and simple expect that they can run this ..

but AMD claims no you can't you need to buy 4000€ workstation card then maybe maybe or not can run it.

and on Nvidia side people buy a 400€ card and just run CUDA on it.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

From what I understand, HIP/ROCm works fine, but just for a selected LTS/enterprise distro, that old and stable stuff that usually we don't use in our hardware 😒

Comment

So if I buy a 7900XTX and want to use HIP/ROCm, it works on Windows but not on Linux? (Or rather, it is supported...)

Well, that's progress of a sort. Erring on the side of generosity, and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                So if I buy a 7900XTX and want to use HIP/ROCm, it works on Windows but not on Linux? (Or rather, it is supported...)

Well, that's progress of a sort. Erring on the side of generosity, and all that.
                It kinda makes sense. The majority of 7900s are running Windows. And many ML devs are running Windows.

Meanwhile, all(?) Instinct hardware is on linux.

If they have the resources to support/test RDNA3 on one OS, mind as well do Windows. And its not like CUDA where the A100 and the RTX 3060 are essentially the same hardware target.

Also, some ML development is moving away from pure CUDA/ROCm anyway.
                Last edited by brucethemoose; 28 July 2023, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
                  and someone who buy a AMD Radeon 7900XTX for 1000€ they have no fucking clue if this works or not.
                  If you buy 7900XTX you want to play with Diablo 4 or Far Cry 6, not use Rocm

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

i dont know what all of you are talking about because amd rocm exists for linux,
                    the only thing that linux don't have but will be in the near future its HIP RT
                    Or am I confused?
                    Last edited by nir2142; 28 July 2023, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X