RadeonSI ACO Code Lands More Functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I've just benchmarked Unigine Heaven on my Vega 64. The score improved marginally and the avg FPS went from 82 fps > 82.3 fps. I saw a litle less stuttering but nothing dramatically different yet and the seen improvement could be within deviation from the first to the second run.
    There was a new MR out today that uses ACO in radeonSI in more situations (radeonsi: enable aco support for standalone tcs/tes/gs​). This further improves the fps by 0.3 fps to 82.6 fps (first run). The overall improvement from ACO so far is from 82 > 82.6 fps. While that might not sound like much, ACO improves the stutter in more situations which is more noticeable than the difference in fps reflects.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      There was a new MR out today that uses ACO in radeonSI in more situations (radeonsi: enable aco support for standalone tcs/tes/gs​). This further improves the fps by 0.3 fps to 82.6 fps (first run). The overall improvement from ACO so far is from 82 > 82.6 fps. While that might not sound like much, ACO improves the stutter in more situations which is more noticeable than the difference in fps reflects.
      sounds very good. my vega64 will be happy about this.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Is there a lay graphic somewhere that explains all this graphical mumbo jumbo? From the kernel up through to the game/app 😁

It's become incredibly complex (although I'm reading this as a simplification report) in my time away from gaming.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          Is there a lay graphic somewhere that explains all this graphical mumbo jumbo? From the kernel up through to the game/app 😁
          I have a diagram that I have been maintaining for internal developers that covers both open and closed source AMD graphics/compute but I haven't figured out how best to represent all the shader compiler options without losing the representation of code sharing between components. If I can figure out how to update it while keeping it readable I'll post it somewhere.

That said, if everyone agrees to stop talking about "Mesa" without adding one or two qualifying words (eg Mesa Vulkan, Mesa OpenGL, Mesa <video API>) things would get a lot less confusing.

Mesa is a huge honkin' project these days but you only need to understand a small portion of it for any given app-to-hardware path, and every time someone says "Mesa uses..." or "Mesa does..." it's like one more beer glass in front of the windshield because the "Mesa does..." statements are usually only correct for the immediate context of the forum post and are wrong for the other 90% of use cases.

Last edited by bridgman; 05 June 2023, 08:37 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I have a diagram that I have been maintaining for internal developers that covers both open and closed source AMD graphics/compute but I haven't figured out how best to represent all the shader compiler options without losing the representation of code sharing between components. If I can figure out how to update it while keeping it readable I'll post it somewhere.

That said, if everyone agrees to stop talking about "Mesa" without adding one or two qualifying words (eg Mesa Vulkan, Mesa OpenGL, Mesa <video API>) things would get a lot less confusing.

Mesa is a huge honkin' project these days but you only need to understand a small portion of it for any given app-to-hardware path, and every time someone says "Mesa uses..." or "Mesa does..." it's like one more beer glass in front of the windshield because the "Mesa does..." statements are usually only correct for the immediate context of the forum post and are wrong for the other 90% of use cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8LF1v19Kvs

Well, I'm not so lay as to not be able to comprehend the paths given a nice infrografik and follow up with my own research. But, as you say, MESA this, driver that (I misread the RadeonSI part of this article, which is was for OpenGL if I recall), so yeah, as a casual observer to all this fluffy stuffy these days, well, it got me thinking about how much I don't really comprehend who the what the, hey!? I'd like a game to work, but the hoops you need, I realise I still need to understand a lot of the underlying.

And how did you know I drove home with that many glasses? (I literally pulled a glass out of my pocket just now....)

Scary to think, your country and mine, trying their hardest to out-Police-State each other. I'm in a town of 200 people, the horse drives you home. We have a cop now whom enjoys booking even them. Crime's still as bad as ever....and same number of drink driving incidents; 0
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              I'm in a town of 200 people, the horse drives you home. We have a cop now whom enjoys booking even them. Crime's still as bad as ever....and same number of drink driving incidents; 0
              Yeah, I find it baffling that nobody in government sees the irony of cracking down on horses driving you home while promoting AI-based autonomous vehicles.
              Test signature

Comment

Horses are in control?
                Hi

Comment

Working...
                X