No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Linux Driver Enabling FreeSync Video By Default, Improved Power Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope the "improvements to power saving" also include the completely useless FreeSync Video feature, but I doubt it. My card currently idles at around 6W, but only if it does at max 2560x1440@120Hz (or two Monitors 2560x1440@60Hz). Anything higher, which incudes one monitor internally running at 165Hz with this feature, regardless of which user-facing resolution is selected, the card ramps the memory clock to the maximum and subsequently uses about 28W in idle.
    I can see the uses of this feature, but it has to be optional. When it was enabled by default in 5.18 they also removed the kernel command line option to disable it. At least they did not completely remove the original modes, but in plasma wayland those are not exposed in the GUI kscreen settings but have to be manually accessed by mode number (instead of "resolution@frequency") with kscreen-doctor. I'm glad to live with flicker on resolution change if it means the fans of my graphics card do not audibly spin up every few minutes.

Did they really revert the "FreeSync Video by default" after 5.18? At least on Fedora it was always enabled since then.

Comment

Looks like the AMD Linux kernel driver is still missing a feature of the Windows driver that can make use of VRR to clock down VRAM also with 1440p 165Hz. Hope this is meant with "improved power savings".

Comment

Working...
      X