No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Linux Driver Enabling FreeSync Video By Default, Improved Power Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Linux Driver Enabling FreeSync Video By Default, Improved Power Savings

Phoronix: AMDGPU Linux Driver Enabling FreeSync Video By Default, Improved Power Savings

AMD's open-source Linux graphics driver engineers have out a rather significant set of patches this week to their display code "DC" for the AMDGPU kernel graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can anyone tell me what the current state of FreeSync/HDR is on linux using AMD? I'm considering buying a new monitor soon.
    Does FreeSync just work on any game? Does HDR work for games that support it?

Comment

That's great news!

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        Can anyone tell me what the current state of FreeSync/HDR is on linux using AMD? I'm considering buying a new monitor soon.
        HDR is still worked on because it's not trivial to solve. Compositors have to support HDR and non-HDR content at the same time. I think KDE merged some experimental patches in the direction to support some fullscreen HDR content but I could be wrong. With GNOME it takes longer, I assume.

When it comes to FreeSync, I believe you can use it on KDE Plasma but it's best to use it in full screen content which hides the native cursor. Because changing refresh rate dynamically can cause your cursor to noticeable lag/stutter. At least that's one of the issue why GNOME hasn't merged their MR yet. The other problem is that some monitors seem to cause blinking when switching refresh rate. I'm not sure but maybe that's the issue which has been solved here. Seems good anyway. ^^'

Comment

FreeSync -- not 100% on that since I don't have a supported monitor. Hopefully more people like TheJackiNonster will chime in.

HDR -- You have to compile a 6.2 kernel with HDR patches, use fairly new versions of DXVK and/or vkd3d-proton, compile Gamescope with hdr enabled, setup an HDR enabled Gamescope session, and once you've done all that it's hit and miss if your HDR game will work. There is currently nothing easy or user friendly about HDR on Linux in its current state.

Comment

Does FreeSync work well with amd + other (Optimus/Hybrid) setups (i.e. if Nvidia presence limits the range) or is that another/non-amd issue?

Comment

Adaptive sync / VRR works well for fullscreen windows / games.

HDR is still work in progress regardless of GPU type. Basically - you'd have to wait still. But there is some good progress.

See: https://zamundaaa.github.io/wayland/...gement-in-kwin

Comment

And what is the advantage of freesync video does it then reduce the hz to 24/48hz in fullscreen mode or what?

Comment

AFAIK it eliminates tearing like v-sync but without the latency/fluidity issues of v-sync because content is displayed immediately instead of queued to a fixed refresh timing window

Comment

Do any laptops support freesync on their native displays?

Comment

Working...
                    X