Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusticl With RadeonSI Driver Nearing OpenCL Conformance

Phoronix: Rusticl With RadeonSI Driver Nearing OpenCL Conformance

While the upcoming Mesa 23.1 stable release enables RadeonSI build support for Rusticl and is working out overall, the RadeonSI driver with this Rust-written OpenCL driver is nearing the point of officially passing OpenCL conformance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just to avoid confusion, does it somehow depend on the OpenGL radeonsi, or it's just named the same way?

radeonsi name itself is confusing enough, since Sea Islands hasn't been a thing for a long time already.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Just to avoid confusion, does it somehow depend on the OpenGL radeonsi, or it's just named the same way?

radeonsi name itself is confusing enough, since Sea Islands hasn't been a thing for a long time already.
      radeonsi is technically a gallium driver for AMD hardware Sea Islands and newer, not a OpenGL driver. Rusticl and the Mesa OpenGL frontend both run on the gallium driver radeonsi.

Comment

Yeah, naming it something like radeonga would make more sense.

Comment

Yeah, naming it something like radeonga would make more sense.
          maybe if it didn't remind me of tonga I would agree.

but elaborating on what mbriar said gallium is simply the generic interface in mesa for higher level APIs. radeonsi also powers Gallium9, clover, libva, and the OMX driver too. maybe one day, radeonsi can also power d3d10umd. likewise gallium drivers, can with little effort, support most gallium front ends, assuming required features line up. this means that zink can in theory be wired up to all of, clover, gallium9, rusticl, opengl, and if zink eventually implements vulkan video extensions, it could potentially be used for libva and omx front ends too.

ofc the same can be said for all gallium drivers, D3D12 driver, Iris, r300 and r600, virgl etc. ofc it's not necessarily as easy as a couple lines of code, but gallium does cut out a lot of the otherwise necessary work

Comment

Every time someone explains gallium I end up more confused than when I started.

Comment

RadeonSI is the Gallium driver for Southern Islands and newer AMD GPUs (note, Southern Islands is GCN 1, Sea Islands is GCN 2).

Gallium is a framework for high-level APIs, that separates the APIs (frontends) from drivers. To answer your question, yes this is the same RadeonSI that is also used for the OpenGL frontend.

Comment

Originally posted by unis_torvalds View Post
                Every time someone explains gallium I end up more confused than when I started.
                The important thing is that gallium is a way to break all the drivers into two parts.

There is the part that cares about the hardware (the "backend" eg. radeonsi, r600, iris, nouveau, etc) and the part that cares about the graphics API that an app needs. (the "frontend" eg. openGL, gallium9, rusticl, etc)

You can in theory mix and match any frontend with any backend, allowing you to use any graphics API on any hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

The important thing is that gallium is a way to break all the drivers into two parts.

There is the part that cares about the hardware (the "backend" eg. radeonsi, r600, iris, nouveau, etc) and the part that cares about the graphics API that an app needs. (the "frontend" eg. openGL, gallium9, rusticl, etc)

You can in theory mix and match any frontend with any backend, allowing you to use any graphics API on any hardware.
                  Wow, okay, that helps a lot! ​​​​ Now I get the context for the other explanations. Thank you!​​​​​​

Comment

was this development freaking fast to reach conformance or is it just my impression?

Comment

Working...
                    X