No announcement yet.

AMD Continues Linux Driver Enablement For Additional "Aldebaran" Instinct GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Continues Linux Driver Enablement For Additional "Aldebaran" Instinct GPU

Phoronix: AMD Continues Linux Driver Enablement For Additional "Aldebaran" Instinct GPU

Over the weekend I wrote about AMD beginning to post new graphics driver patches for a new GPU. As pointed out in that earlier article, it looks to be a new AMD Instinct MI300 / "Aldebaran" GPU model and today more patches were posted that further confirm this target...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

bros can you spot me my wallet a little short for mi300

Comment

Huh? I thought Aldebaran was MI200? Arcturus is MI100, so what's the MI200 called?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        Huh? I thought Aldebaran was MI200? Arcturus is MI100, so what's the MI200 called?
        MI300 is on the IP-based versioning like with RDNA3, but there still are some Aldebaran references in the code. So presumably no new Linux codenames coming...
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          MI300 is on the IP-based versioning like with RDNA3, but there still are some Aldebaran references in the code. So presumably no new Linux codenames coming...
          Thanks for the follow-up.

I though it was a pretty good move for AMD to use star names. Light years better than fish, if you'll excuse the pun. It definitely got me reading about some of them. Arcturus and Aldebaran are both red giants, while Navi (AKA Gamma Cassiopeiae) is interestingly an eruptive variable star!

Comment

Working...
          X