Pending RADV Driver Change Leads To Much Lower System RAM Use For Some Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

DDR 4/5 is cheap. DDR 4 is something like 1,85 USD / gigabyte (used memory modules even cheaper, but setting up XMP settings with different kits might not work). You can easily afford 64 to 128 gigabytes these days.
    I'll just start telling people to "stop being poor". I never thought poverty would have such a simple solution

Comment

I just think normal developers easily earn $100 per hour.
      What kind of shit are you smoking? Even senior devs struggle to reach that in the US, and those aren't "normal" devs, they're seniors for a reason.

For your sake I surely hope those are not US dollars.

Comment

DDR 4/5 is cheap. DDR 4 is something like 1,85 USD / gigabyte (used memory modules even cheaper, but setting up XMP settings with different kits might not work). You can easily afford 64 to 128 gigabytes these days.
        Just for sure: More used memory -> more cache misses -> less performance. So, it is not just question of money, but also of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I'll just start telling people to "stop being poor". I never thought poverty would have such a simple solution
          Please take a look at this as well https://www.tomshardware.com/news/dr...-falling-in-q2

Yes, price drop of 23% + 15% in Q1+Q2/2023 means you can afford more RAM. E.g. 32 GB is worth something like 60 bucks. It amazes me how software developers can be this poor. I have unemployed friends who have higher end systems.

Comment

Please take a look at this as well https://www.tomshardware.com/news/dr...-falling-in-q2

Yes, price drop of 23% + 15% in Q1+Q2/2023 means you can afford more RAM. E.g. 32 GB is worth something like 60 bucks. It amazes me how software developers can be this poor. I have unemployed friends who have higher end systems.
            True, but people prioritise the strangest things at times. Case in point, when I was studying, a friend of mine kept complaining he couldn't afford enough food. This same friend smoked something like 60 a day, in a country with one of the highest rates of tax on cigarettes going. He would also go out on a Friday night and get hammered (which in the city we were living and studying in, wasn't cheap either!)

I've seen people post asking for advice on issues with new builds (that were cutting-edge kit) but then saying they were on disability and didn't have any money. Wait, what? You've just dropped four grand on a new PC...

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
              True, but people prioritise the strangest things at times. Case in point, when I was studying, a friend of mine kept complaining he couldn't afford enough food. This same friend smoked something like 60 a day, in a country with one of the highest rates of tax on cigarettes going. He would also go out on a Friday night and get hammered (which in the city we were living and studying in, wasn't cheap either!)

I've seen people post asking for advice on issues with new builds (that were cutting-edge kit) but then saying they were on disability and didn't have any money. Wait, what? You've just dropped four grand on a new PC...
              This is funny and certainly true! My friend is driving an old car with over 700 000 km. It keeps breaking down. He's apartment rent is more than my home loan, rates and taxes. I have another friend who drives a sports car with monthly payments more than his rent. We are all very unique beings.

As for RAM being cheap, it's all relative. Unemployed people in EU are billionaires compared to employed people in Africa. I visit friends in high crime areas where they would break your car's window to steal $0,56 USD. Regardless of our priorities and what jobs we have I think this fix/change is a big improvement. Why waste resources.

There's also the latency vs capacity argument which is somewhat relevant for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

Your friend sounds like the majority of Australian's. Can't afford 'it', but always spending money; just never in the right places. While drinking and smoking, playing pokies and keno.

Edit; spelling of keno....Samsung phones again.

Edit 2; phone randomly re-spelled Edit...
                Last edited by stiiixy; 03 April 2023, 11:33 AM.
                Hi

Comment

Working...
                X