No announcement yet.

Pending RADV Driver Change Leads To Much Lower System RAM Use For Some Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pending RADV Driver Change Leads To Much Lower System RAM Use For Some Games

Phoronix: Pending RADV Driver Change Leads To Much Lower System RAM Use For Some Games

A pending change to the Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" is leading to much lower system RAM use for some games that make use of many Vulkan Graphics Pipeline Libraries (GPL). The game causing this issue to be investigated was Valve's Dota 2 on RADV and is now seeing an 85% reduction in system RAM use by this open-source Radeon Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember a few years back people complained that their desktop environment is memory heavy, around 4 GB. This change makes Dota 2 look like a dream for those people, from 3GB to 400 MiB, damn.

In any case, yeah saw Mike Blumenkrantz's blog earlier today, always a nice treat. Thanks to all involved, this really makes me feel like Linux community is heading in the right direction by making things efficiently little by little.

Comment

This will be nice for the Steam Deck

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
        This will be nice for the Steam Deck
        Keep in mind that the only games affected by this are those that use GPL *and* link time optimization, which in practice means it's basically Dota 2 and zink.

Comment

some people run Dota 2 on their deck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
            I remember a few years back people complained that their desktop environment is memory heavy, around 4 GB. This change makes Dota 2 look like a dream for those people, from 3GB to 400 MiB, damn.
            To be fair the measured memory consumption wasn't the game itself but a replay of the Vulkan calls that the game makes. Still, it's a very good improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
              I remember a few years back people complained that their desktop environment is memory heavy, around 4 GB. This change makes Dota 2 look like a dream for those people, from 3GB to 400 MiB, damn,
              DDR 4/5 is cheap. DDR 4 is something like 1,85 USD / gigabyte (used memory modules even cheaper, but setting up XMP settings with different kits might not work). You can easily afford 64 to 128 gigabytes these days.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                DDR 4/5 is cheap. DDR 4 is something like 1,85 USD / gigabyte (used memory modules even cheaper, but setting up XMP settings with different kits might not work). You can easily afford 64 to 128 gigabytes these days.
                This is going to sound strange coming from someone who regularly complains consumer motherboards don't support enough memory, and who currently doesn't have a system with less than 64GB of memory...

...but not everyone can afford that.

And even though I, and many others can afford that, we shouldn't have to and do not necessarily want to.

It's pretty amazing that much of a reduction. If it could be applied elsewhere that would be great.

Comment

How large is the performance impact from this change? I would take this little increase in RAM usage for more or more consistent FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                    This is going to sound strange coming from someone who regularly complains consumer motherboards don't support enough memory, and who currently doesn't have a system with less than 64GB of memory...

...but not everyone can afford that.

And even though I, and many others can afford that, we shouldn't have to and do not necessarily want to.

It's pretty amazing that much of a reduction. If it could be applied elsewhere that would be great.
                    What sucks, though, is that it isn't necessarily a matter of "want to" as much as it is "have to" these days. Practically anything designed with the PS5 in mind can use nearly every bit of ram a system has because devs get around PCs not having NVMEs and/or DirectStorage by copying the game (or as much as they can) to a ram disk. Playing Hogwarts Legacy, out of 32GB of ram, my system uses 28-29GB for Hogwarts and the rest is for the OS...that's both CachyOS off the Zraid and Windows 11 off the NVMe.

Because of the above, how 32GB is looking to becoming low-end gaming grade, I hope more games support/use both LTO and GPL. I only hope these lazy ramdisk devs aren't too lazy to tweak compiler flags.
                    Last edited by skeevy420; 28 March 2023, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X