Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get 4K@120Hz to work over HDMI (RX 6800XT)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get 4K@120Hz to work over HDMI (RX 6800XT)?

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting 4K to work at 120Hz over HDMI when my Radeon RX 6800XT is connected to my TV (Philips 55PUS9206). I tried a few "Ultra High Speed HDMI" certified cables before realizing that AMD is unlikely to enable the feature in the FOSS driver due to some legal issues. It's really difficult to get more information on this subject.

However, since the issue should only affect the FOSS driver, I'm wondering if the proprietary driver will work. Does anyone have experience with it?

For the record, I know Displayport will work, but my TV doesn't have a DP input. The only DP->HDMI adapter that should work is this one:​ https://www.uptab.com/displayport-1-...ctive-adapter/. Unfortunately, VRR isn't supported and it's a bit pricey.​

Thanks in advance :-)

Originally posted by frashman View Post
    Hi,
    However, since the issue should only affect the FOSS driver, I'm wondering if the proprietary driver will work. Does anyone have experience with it?
    There is no proprietary kernel driver. The packaged drivers include the same kernel driver that is upstream.

Comment

I do not understand. So what is the AMDGPU Pro driver all about? https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AMDGPU_PRO​

Comment

Originally posted by frashman View Post
        I do not understand. So what is the AMDGPU Pro driver all about? https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AMDGPU_PRO​
        It serves three purposes:

1 - it provides pre-built drivers (based on upstream open source) for slower-moving enterprise distros (RHEL, SLES, Ubuntu LTS) which do not pick up frequent updates from the upstream repos. In order to do this it includes a Kernel Compatibility Layer (KCL) which allows current upstream driver code to build and run on much older kernels. The kernel code is delivered as source code and packaged using DKMS, which dynamically builds the kernel drivers from source during installation.

2 - it provides optional components intended for 3D workstation users (this is where the "PRO" part of the name comes from) that can be selected via install options

3 - it provides integrated graphics and ROCm compute code in a single tested package, as part of our ongoing compute/graphics integration work
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          2 - it provides optional components intended for 3D workstation users (this is where the "PRO" part of the name comes from) that can be selected via install options
          Optional *closed source* proprietary components. The rest is all just packaged versions of the upstream drivers. As John said, it's really just a way to provide support for new chips or features on slow moving enterprise distros.

Comment

Working...
          X