Radeon Software For Linux 22.40 Driver Released With RX 7900 Series Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software For Linux 22.40 Driver Released With RX 7900 Series Support

Phoronix: Radeon Software For Linux 22.40 Driver Released With RX 7900 Series Support

As outlined yesterday the Radeon RX 7900 series can work on the upstream, open-source Linux driver stack if using Linux 6.0+ and Mesa 22.2 (but ideally 22.3+). But if you aren't wanting to jump to a newer kernel version and are running one of the supported enterprise Linux distributions, today AMD released their Radeon Software for Linux 22.40 driver package with Radeon RX 7000 "RDNA3" series support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi Michael. Where did you find the correct firmware to copy in /lib/firmware/amdgpu mentionned in your previous article ?

Comment

Just ordered mine (7900 XT). Still not sure that I will get it, as all models are already out of stock (my order is mark as "piece reserved", so it seems good).

It is incredible how difficult it still is to get a discrete GPU, and the prices are just crazy.

For the driver, Linux 6.1 and Mesa 22.3 are available for my ~amd64 Gentoo, so I think I will be fine with FOSS drivers.
      Last edited by ALRBP; 13 December 2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=ALRBP;n1362025]
        [-]
        It is incredible how difficult it still is to get a discrete GPU, and the prices are just crazy.
        [-]

Here in Germany:

RX 7900 XTX ~ 1350 €
        RX 7900 XT ~ 1150 €...

Comment

[QUOTE=nuetzel;n1362043]
          Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
          [-]
          [-]

Here in Germany:

RX 7900 XTX ~ 1350 €
          RX 7900 XT ~ 1150 €...
          I (luckily) got a RX 7900 XTX for 1159€ in France.

Comment

Just ordered mine (7900 XT). Still not sure that I will get it, as all models are already out of stock (my order is mark as "piece reserved", so it seems good).

For the driver, Linux 6.1 and Mesa 22.3 are available for my ~amd64 Gentoo, so I think I will be fine with FOSS drivers.
            You will still need the linux-firmware blob and AMD still didn't push it in the repo https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...-firmware.git/

I got an error and I can't even reach tty :

Dec 13 19:46:27 archlinux kernel: amdgpu 0000:0c:00.0: amdgpu: failed to init sos firmware
            Dec 13 19:46:27 archlinux kernel: [drmsp_sw_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Failed to load psp firmware!
            Dec 13 19:46:27 archlinux kernel: [drm:amdgpu_device_init.cold [amdgpu]] *ERROR* sw_init of IP block <psp> failed -2
            Dec 13 19:46:27 archlinux kernel: amdgpu 0000:0c:00.0: amdgpu: amdgpu_device_ip_init failed
            Dec 13 19:46:27 archlinux kernel: amdgpu 0000:0c:00.0: amdgpu: Fatal error during GPU init

Last edited by Crashone; 13 December 2022, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crashone View Post
              You will still need the linux-firmware blob and AMD still didn't push it in the repo https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...-firmware.git/
              Just checked with agd5f - we sent the firmware update in earlier, just waiting for the maintainers to commit the patches.
              Last edited by bridgman; 13 December 2022, 03:47 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Just checked with agd5f - we sent the firmware update in earlier, just waiting for the maintainers to commit the patches.
                Ok thanks. So it shouldn't take too long.

Comment

[QUOTE=nuetzel;n1362043]
                  [-]
                  [-]

Here in Germany:

RX 7900 XTX ~ 1350 €
                  RX 7900 XT ~ 1150 €...
                  Same for me in France (not as lucky as @Crashone​), had my XT at 1150 €. I actually found an XT at 1060 € but already out of stock.

Comment

In the meantime you can pull the packaged firmware images from repo.radeon.com - here's a link for the ubuntu packages, similar for RHEL & SLES:

There are different packages for 20.04 and 22.04 to satisfy the installer scripts, but AFAIK they have the same content and just compressed to different sizes. I have not unpacked and compared the files yet though.

You will want the following files from the package:

dcn_3_2_0_dmcub.bin
                    gc_11_0_0_mes1.bin
                    vcn_4_0_0.bin
                    gc_11_0_0_imu.bin
                    gc_11_0_0_mes.bin
                    psp_13_0_0_sos.bin
                    psp_13_0_0_ta.bin
                    gc_11_0_0_me.bin
                    gc_11_0_0_pfp.bin
                    sdma_6_0_0.bin
                    gc_11_0_0_mec.bin