Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 22.2 Gaming Performance With Radeon RX 6700/6800 XT Graphics Cards On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maslou View Post

I ran into the same problem. tried everything possible. It turned out that I had no surveillance in the outlet. Try lowering your graphics card frequency by 50%. If your problem disappears, then you have a weak power supply or no current ground
    Actually, after writing my problem, I realized I never checked the logs. It seems I've had:
    [drm:dc_dmub_srv_wait_idle [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Error waiting for DMUB idle: status=3

I've tracked that to a power-saving measure, and now I'm testing if the fix they sugested (drm.vblankoffdelay=0) works. I have not seen sutters, but it was only about 2h of playing.

I assume by surveillance you mean grounding? Are you using cheap DP cable? Specifically test for continuity on pin 29. I had a HDD rack that would buzz whenever I turned off my PC. Turned out the monitor was back-powering through pin29 of DP and gave enough power for the buzzer to signal no fan error. Early cables just straight up connected them 1:1, but pin 29 should be disconnected (cheap way) or protected (good cables) as it's expected to have voltage on both ends (unpowered devices in the chain get their power from it).

I mention this because, if lack of grounding makes your PC malfunction, something else is very wrong. Grounding is like airbags: you don't use them normally, but when they are needed it's worse if they don't work.
    Last edited by mathew7; 16 August 2022, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mathew7 View Post

Actually, after writing my problem, I realized I never checked the logs. It seems I've had:
      [drm:dc_dmub_srv_wait_idle [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Error waiting for DMUB idle: status=3

I've tracked that to a power-saving measure, and now I'm testing if the fix they sugested (drm.vblankoffdelay=0) works. I have not seen sutters, but it was only about 2h of playing.

I assume by surveillance you mean grounding? Are you using cheap DP cable? Specifically test for continuity on pin 29. I had a HDD rack that would buzz whenever I turned off my PC. Turned out the monitor was back-powering through pin29 of DP and gave enough power for the buzzer to signal no fan error. Early cables just straight up connected them 1:1, but pin 29 should be disconnected (cheap way) or protected (good cables) as it's expected to have voltage on both ends (unpowered devices in the chain get their power from it).

I mention this because, if lack of grounding makes your PC malfunction, something else is very wrong. Grounding is like airbags: you don't use them normally, but when they are needed it's worse if they don't work.

I changed the power supply and made grounding. This solved my problem and everything is fine now. We often just say unjustified things without understanding the essence when criticizing certain vendors. The problem was not with AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslou View Post

I changed the power supply and made grounding. This solved my problem and everything is fine now. We often just say unjustified things without understanding the essence when criticizing certain vendors. The problem was not with AMD.
        You PSU could have had big problems. My point was that a good functioning device should not malfunction without grounding. If only grounding would have "solved" the simptoms, it would have just hidden the real problem. That's why I said to check for DP cable (if you used one).
        As for criticizing vendors, that wasn't me. I just said that switching vendors gave me stutters and I wanted to fix it. Another user replied "maybe ditching nVidia for AMD wasn't the smartest choice", which I did because of open-source drivers (i.e.:not official AMD SW).

Comment

Working...
        X