Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 22.2 Gaming Performance With Radeon RX 6700/6800 XT Graphics Cards On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mathew7
    replied
    Originally posted by Maslou View Post

I changed the power supply and made grounding. This solved my problem and everything is fine now. We often just say unjustified things without understanding the essence when criticizing certain vendors. The problem was not with AMD.
    You PSU could have had big problems. My point was that a good functioning device should not malfunction without grounding. If only grounding would have "solved" the simptoms, it would have just hidden the real problem. That's why I said to check for DP cable (if you used one).
    As for criticizing vendors, that wasn't me. I just said that switching vendors gave me stutters and I wanted to fix it. Another user replied "maybe ditching nVidia for AMD wasn't the smartest choice", which I did because of open-source drivers (i.e.:not official AMD SW).

Leave a comment:

• Maslou
    replied
    Originally posted by mathew7 View Post

Actually, after writing my problem, I realized I never checked the logs. It seems I've had:
    [drm:dc_dmub_srv_wait_idle [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Error waiting for DMUB idle: status=3

I've tracked that to a power-saving measure, and now I'm testing if the fix they sugested (drm.vblankoffdelay=0) works. I have not seen sutters, but it was only about 2h of playing.

I assume by surveillance you mean grounding? Are you using cheap DP cable? Specifically test for continuity on pin 29. I had a HDD rack that would buzz whenever I turned off my PC. Turned out the monitor was back-powering through pin29 of DP and gave enough power for the buzzer to signal no fan error. Early cables just straight up connected them 1:1, but pin 29 should be disconnected (cheap way) or protected (good cables) as it's expected to have voltage on both ends (unpowered devices in the chain get their power from it).

I mention this because, if lack of grounding makes your PC malfunction, something else is very wrong. Grounding is like airbags: you don't use them normally, but when they are needed it's worse if they don't work.

I changed the power supply and made grounding. This solved my problem and everything is fine now. We often just say unjustified things without understanding the essence when criticizing certain vendors. The problem was not with AMD.

Leave a comment:

• mathew7
    replied
    Originally posted by Maslou View Post

I ran into the same problem. tried everything possible. It turned out that I had no surveillance in the outlet. Try lowering your graphics card frequency by 50%. If your problem disappears, then you have a weak power supply or no current ground
    Actually, after writing my problem, I realized I never checked the logs. It seems I've had:
    [drm:dc_dmub_srv_wait_idle [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Error waiting for DMUB idle: status=3

I've tracked that to a power-saving measure, and now I'm testing if the fix they sugested (drm.vblankoffdelay=0) works. I have not seen sutters, but it was only about 2h of playing.

I assume by surveillance you mean grounding? Are you using cheap DP cable? Specifically test for continuity on pin 29. I had a HDD rack that would buzz whenever I turned off my PC. Turned out the monitor was back-powering through pin29 of DP and gave enough power for the buzzer to signal no fan error. Early cables just straight up connected them 1:1, but pin 29 should be disconnected (cheap way) or protected (good cables) as it's expected to have voltage on both ends (unpowered devices in the chain get their power from it).

I mention this because, if lack of grounding makes your PC malfunction, something else is very wrong. Grounding is like airbags: you don't use them normally, but when they are needed it's worse if they don't work.
    Last edited by mathew7; 16 August 2022, 03:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Maslou
    replied
    Soo, I have a 5950X with a 6800 (non-XT), and I see ~.5s freezes from time to time. Anybody else notices this or has ideas?
    This did not happen with my previous RTX 2070.
    Tried rebar on/off, stopped my temp measurements, nothing seems to prevent them. Can't find a pattern. Maybe once every 5 mins? 1 min? 10 mins? The point is that some might be unnoticeable (like when not moving).
    Oh, yeah! Ubuntu-mate 22.04, USB Soundblaster G5, 240Hz Alienware, GPWS.
    I ran into the same problem. tried everything possible. It turned out that I had no surveillance in the outlet. Try lowering your graphics card frequency by 50%. If your problem disappears, then you have a weak power supply or no current ground

Leave a comment:

• verude
    replied
    Soo, I have a 5950X with a 6800 (non-XT), and I see ~.5s freezes from time to time. Anybody else notices this or has ideas?
    Tried rebar on/off, stopped my temp measurements, nothing seems to prevent them. Can't find a pattern. Maybe once every 5 mins? 1 min? 10 mins? The point is that some might be unnoticeable (like when not moving).
    There really isn't much to go by. I'd recommend checking dmesg and journalctl to see if there's anything in the logs about the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Sorry, but here on Phoronix nobody is interested in helping each other to solve real-world problems!

But from the sound of your post, maybe ditching nVidia for AMD wasn't the smartest choice...

Leave a comment:

• mathew7
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MorrisS.
    replied
    Originally posted by bisby View Post

No performance benefit, and in an extreme case regression, where you still get over 1000 fps.

I would have to assume that there are other benefits to this release, otherwise they wouldn't be shipping it. Either bug fixes, or something else. "Average framerate" is a great indicator for "they found something new to optimize" but it's not the only benefit you can have.
    It's not a complaint, it's a simple description of the tests. So, stay easy.
    Last edited by MorrisS.; 12 August 2022, 03:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Lbibass View Post

Sorry, I only play games if I can get over 1500 FPS. It MAKES A DIFFERENCE, DAMNIT. /s
    I know, right. How the hell else is my 1000hz mouse gonna aim fast enough?

MorrisS. My first notice was that slight regression as well.

Leave a comment:

• Lbibass
    replied
    Originally posted by bisby View Post

No performance benefit, and in an extreme case regression, where you still get over 1000 fps.

I would have to assume that there are other benefits to this release, otherwise they wouldn't be shipping it. Either bug fixes, or something else. "Average framerate" is a great indicator for "they found something new to optimize" but it's not the only benefit you can have.
    Sorry, I only play games if I can get over 1500 FPS. It MAKES A DIFFERENCE, DAMNIT. /s

Leave a comment:

Working...
X