Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is MicroEngine Scheduler (MES) and can I use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is MicroEngine Scheduler (MES) and can I use it?

When trying to do amdgpu.mes=1, I get a kernel oops on both 5.18 and 5.19rc4 with a RX 6600 XT. I'm interested in more details, and if it can be used today?

It's a new microcontroller in the 3D engine starting with GFX10 for running a GPU scheduler on the CP to support things like the windows advanced scheduler model (https://devblogs.microsoft.com/direc...pu-scheduling/) and the hardware scheduler for ROCm. It's not used on Linux for GFX10 devices, but is used for newer devices.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      It's a new microcontroller in the 3D engine starting with GFX10 for running a GPU scheduler on the CP to support things like the windows advanced scheduler model (https://devblogs.microsoft.com/direc...pu-scheduling/) and the hardware scheduler for ROCm. It's not used on Linux for GFX10 devices, but is used for newer devices.
      Are there plans to implement it for GFX10 devices on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Are there plans to implement it for GFX10 devices on Linux?
        No. There's no real need. It was mainly added as a test mechanism for future generations.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

No. There's no real need. It was mainly added as a test mechanism for future generations.
          Do newer generations benefit more from the MES than what GFX10 would? Or does GFX10 not benefit from it?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            Do newer generations benefit more from the MES than what GFX10 would? Or does GFX10 not benefit from it?
            GFX10 already has HW scheduling for ROCm implemented in the MEC block, same as for GFX9 and a few GFX8 parts. Not sure if Windows graphics is using HWS as well.
            Last edited by bridgman; 02 July 2022, 08:17 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

GFX10 already has HW scheduling for ROCm implemented in the MEC block, same as for GFX9 and a few GFX8 parts.
              What could future generations do with HW scheduling outside of ROCm on Linux?

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Not sure if Windows graphics is using HWS as well.
              I've heard that RDNA1 had the ability to turn on hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling, but I've not seen it reported to ever work for RDNA2. I tried the latest Windows 11 Dev build a few weeks ago and on a 6600 XT it showed hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling as experimental but still disabled. I'm wondering is there some difference between how the hardware scheduler is implemented in RDNA1 and RDNA2?

Comment

Working...
              X