Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Launches The Radeon RX 6650 XT / RX 6750 XT / RX 6950 XT

Phoronix: AMD Launches The Radeon RX 6650 XT / RX 6750 XT / RX 6950 XT

AMD today is launching the "refined" AMD Radeon RX 6000 series graphics card line-up with new 2022 models being the RX 6650 XT, RX 6750 XT, and RX 6950 XT graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice debut - I'm really looking forward to the Linux performance. Especially mesa.

Comment

Michael is AMD going to send these cards to you?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Michael is AMD going to send these cards to you?
        Unfortunately, no.

FTA: ""Unfortunately, that's all we have to say about the Radeon RX 6x50 XT models today. While the graphics cards are launching today, AMD themselves are said to not be providing any review samples for this launch. AMD has left it up to AIB partners to seed review samples at their discretion. Unfortunately but somewhat understandably, the AIBs are more focused with their marketing resources on Windows reviews given the admittedly much larger gaming marketshare there (and the YouTubers), and there isn't any AIB partner particularly passionate about Linux support -- some even try to distance themselves from Linux for support reasons. As a result, I do not have any RX 6650/6750/6950 XT graphics cards for Linux testing at this time. And given the situation will likely remain that way unless I end up buying any of the graphics cards retail - so we'll see based on Phoronix Premium readers requesting said testing and if I am able to find the RX 6650 XT or RX 6750 XT close to the suggested pricing, etc"
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It's no surprise that AMD is not seeding samples with both hands. Benchmarks (on Windows) that compare the new GPUs to their own predecessors (RX 6x50 XT vs RX 6x00 XT) show that while the power envelope was raised by 10% there is not an equivalent increase in performance. I'd be surprised to see them competing much stronger against NVidia equivalents.

1. https://www.heise.de/tests/AMD-Radeo...t-7080678.html
          Last edited by jochendemuth; 10 May 2022, 09:51 AM.

Comment

OK.

[This short sentence kinda sums up this release. Not good. Not bad. Kinda unnecessary. Totally passable. RDNA3 is just around the corner, so these cards will drop in price significantly in less than just half a year. If these refreshed cards were released at the same MSRP as the originals, that would be kinda exciting - free performance for no extra money. Significantly increased power consumption and decreased efficiency certainly don't look great either. Overall a pointless release.]

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Unfortunately, no.

FTA: ""Unfortunately, that's all we have to say about the Radeon RX 6x50 XT models today. While the graphics cards are launching today, AMD themselves are said to not be providing any review samples for this launch. AMD has left it up to AIB partners to seed review samples at their discretion. Unfortunately but somewhat understandably, the AIBs are more focused with their marketing resources on Windows reviews given the admittedly much larger gaming marketshare there (and the YouTubers), and there isn't any AIB partner particularly passionate about Linux support -- some even try to distance themselves from Linux for support reasons. As a result, I do not have any RX 6650/6750/6950 XT graphics cards for Linux testing at this time. And given the situation will likely remain that way unless I end up buying any of the graphics cards retail - so we'll see based on Phoronix Premium readers requesting said testing and if I am able to find the RX 6650 XT or RX 6750 XT close to the suggested pricing, etc"
              bridgman agd5f

WTF, y'all?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                OK.

[This short sentence kinda sums up this release. Not good. Not bad. Kinda unnecessary. Totally passable. RDNA3 is just around the corner, so these cards will drop in price significantly in less than just half a year. If these refreshed cards were released at the same MSRP as the originals, that would be kinda exciting - free performance for no extra money. Significantly increased power consumption and decreased efficiency certainly don't look great either. Overall a pointless release.]
                Reminds me of Polaris RX 400 and 500 cards. Seems unnecessary, but I'll take any manufacturing improvements in addition to replenishing the GPU stocks until the next product launch.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

bridgman agd5f

WTF, y'all?
                  And just like that no fucks have been given.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Reminds me of Polaris RX 400 and 500 cards. Seems unnecessary, but I'll take any manufacturing improvements in addition to replenishing the GPU stocks until the next product launch.
                  There are no manufacturing improvements aside from faster VRAM and slightly increased clocks at the expense of significantly decreased efficiency which wasn't brilliant in the first place.

Comment

Buying refurbished OEM-PCs still provide the best value these days.

But unfortunately AMD seems to have a volume problem (most likely TSMC is the bottleneck here), as finding Intel + nVidia is both easier & cheaper than AMD CPU + GPU.

For 1111 € (tax included), my expectations have been exceeded by my Acer PC with a Intel i7-11700F + nVidia RTX 3060 Ti combo.
                    UEFI updates are possible without Windows and even ReBAR support can be successfully activated under Linux.

At a similar price point, sadly there was nothing comparable to be found from AMD...

Comment

Working...
                    X