• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fermulator
    replied
    Hey tormod

So on your PPA, it states:
    You might want to combine them with:
    - the latest -ati/-radeon packages from https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive/ppa
    - Karmic kernel from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/
    - other packages from https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

The latest ati/radeon packages from there make sense. If you're r5xx or below, grab the tormod ATI, if you're above, grab the radeonHD tormod package.

The Karmic kernel also makes sense.

But what do you mean by "other packages" from xorg-edgers. Which packages from there are we to pull for testing?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• suokko
    replied
    Originally posted by tormod View Post
    Since radeon-rewrite is supposed to replace the stock mesa, it should work as well with your current setups as the old mesa. Otherwise it is a bug. Newer kernel, driver, drm is not necessary, but is suggested for testing since some bugs might have been fixed there.

But in the first place, just installing these mesa-packages should be enough.
    For me Jaunty packages for x1400 card are way too unstable so they are no go. But self compiled git versions run stable with mesa 7.4 git version so maybe it would work well with radeon-rewrite but I haven't had chance test yet. (That r500 card isn't in my machine so I can only sometimes use it for testing)

Leave a comment:

• tormod
    replied
    Since radeon-rewrite is supposed to replace the stock mesa, it should work as well with your current setups as the old mesa. Otherwise it is a bug. Newer kernel, driver, drm is not necessary, but is suggested for testing since some bugs might have been fixed there.

But in the first place, just installing these mesa-packages should be enough.

Leave a comment:

• poofyyoda
    replied
    Awesome.
    When it doesn't crash X, everything is amazingly fast.
    The crashes seem to be when direct rendering is enabled. When disabled, everything works sweet and stable as.

I pulled in all the recommended packages (kernel, mesa stuff, drm, radeon driver).

Leave a comment:

• Nimbrant
    replied
    I also seem to get randomly kicked out to gdm login.
    I am using jaunty with 2.6.29.1 kernel and ati drivers from from tormod volden ppa.

dmesg is gives a bunch of errors like:
    [ 2142.332570] [drm:drm_unlocked_ioctl] *ERROR* ret = 57 -4
    and
    [ 2136.375987] Too big adjustment 32

I'm not sure which drm i should use with the radeon-rewrite packages.
    Do i need to compile the modesetting branch from git?

i would like to try kms + gem if they are somewhat stable but im not sure what i need to do to enable it.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Don't forget that radeon-rewrite is designed to operate in two different environments :

- with existing (aka legacy) drm and X driver, it uses old-style fixed memory areas and user-space memory management

- with a drm supporting KMS + GEM/TTM and a KMS-compatible X driver, it makes full use of the drm's memory manager

The cool thing about radeon-rewrite is that it can do *both* of these while using the same 3D code, so most bugs don't have to be fixed in two places.

If you are running a new drm and X driver but force modesetting off at boot time, the drm driver disables GEM/TTM and then both radeon-rewrite (mesa) and the X driver should fall back to legacy operation.

I'm not sure about the bug reporting status either, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• tormod
    replied
    Originally posted by fermulator View Post
    Cool!
    I tried these just now tormod. How can I file bugs?
    I think I wrote that on the PPA page
    Running Radeon X1950 (r570), compiz enabled, dual head. Any compiz effect (sometimes even on login) would crash X and put me back to the login screen.
    I have a similar problem, check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old and see if it is the same backtrace as in http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21582

As for suokko's comment, did you also get -ati/-radeon driver from my PPA, karmic kernel and libdrm2 from xorg-edgers as suggested on the PPA page?

Leave a comment:

• fermulator
    replied
    Originally posted by suokko View Post
    Problem might be that you need new ddx (xorg-video-ati) and drm to have it working stable in ubuntu jaunty.
    Ah, and of course the latest isn't upstream yet. Is there anywhere I can read about this sort of stuff? I'm new to the "inner workings" of these things, but would like to contribute.

Leave a comment:

• suokko
    replied
    Originally posted by fermulator View Post
    Cool!

Running Radeon X1950 (r570), compiz enabled, dual head. Any compiz effect (sometimes even on login) would crash X and put me back to the login screen.
    Problem might be that you need new ddx (xorg-video-ati) and drm to have it working stable in ubuntu jaunty.

Leave a comment:

• fermulator
    replied
    Cool!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X