Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tormod
    replied
    radeon-rewrite has now been merged to master, so this thread can die. Thanks to those who tested. The PPA will live on though, I have uploaded a package built from mesa master, tweaked so it can run on an otherwise unchanged Ubuntu 9.04 installation.

The PPA might host things like Osiris' test branches in the future, see for instance http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17683

Leave a comment:

• tormod
    replied
    The radeon-rewrite PPA has now been updated with some test patches from "osiris" which are not yet in git. They are discussed on the mesa3d-dev mailing list, "More radeon-rewrite patches" and "Few shaders related patches against radeon-rewrite".

Leave a comment:

• ikus060
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    The radeon-rewrite work is more of an architectural improvement than a simple performance improvement, but because of the architectural improvements most of the interesting work (which *could* help performance) is being done in radeon-rewrite.

Based on your symptoms, it sounds like you have some Compiz plug-in / effect enabled which causes the driver to fall back to software rendering. Blur is one example, IIRC.
    Possible it's part of the problem, but event with the Metacity Compositing manager or I get trouble. Metacity without compositing manager is fine as long as I don't play with Firefox rendering.

Do you still believe it's part of the Windows Manager ? or do you consider the problem part of something else ?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    The radeon-rewrite work is more of an architectural improvement than a simple performance improvement, but because of the architectural improvements most of the interestiung work (which *could* help performance) is being done in radeon-rewrite.

Based on your symptoms, it sounds like you have some Compiz plug-in / effect enabled which causes the driver to fall back to software rendering. Blur is one example, IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• ikus060
    replied
    I need some clue here. I've read every where that radeon-rewrite improve the performance for ATI Radeon card. I'm not an expert in this domain and I read so many confusing thing that I don't know what to believe. I have a Radeon Mobility X300 (M22). It's a good card and it's should be more then enough for my need since I don't play any 3D game of any kinds. The only thing that matter is the Compositing.

So the point here is that I notice very poor performance since upgrading from Hardy to Jaunty. I don't know if it's the driver, X.org or the Windows Manager. So plz I need some help to identify the root cause.

As an example, If I play some music with whatever apps and if I move a windows (alot) the music stop. Same thing appen in many case : moving windows, AWN icons jumping, video playback, content of a windows changing, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Sarvatt
    replied
    Originally posted by oibaf View Post
    Sarvatt, could you apply the also to mesa 7.6 packages?

That would be useful to make it compile also under jaunty (I keep some copied packages to my PPA to ease testing).
    You want to pull the source and change the version at the very least for what you are doing (rebuilding against a different libdrm for some reason) or else you're going to see people with a mix and match of packages that dont realize it because the names are the same... The whole point of tormod having the drivers seperate in his personal repo was to avoid building against the newer drm and as such being able to just install on jaunty with no updates. I've been updating ati and radeonhd in edgers against the newer drm lately now and obviously those aren't drop in replacements. We were planning on moving jaunty up to mesa master in xorg-edgers once 7.5 hits karmic and is backported to x-updates, but I'm thinking about doing it sooner here if the fixes for 8xx series intel 3d dont happen to get cherry picked into 7.5.
    Last edited by Sarvatt; 29 May 2009, 06:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oibaf
    replied
    mesa 7.6

Sarvatt, could you apply the
    hook: Relax linux-libc-dev depends to 2.6.28
    also to mesa 7.6 packages?

That would be useful to make it compile also under jaunty (I keep some copied packages to my PPA to ease testing).

Leave a comment:

• zika
    replied
    When do You expect will us having RV635 be able to use compiz in Jaunty either with radeon or radeonhd ... ? I'm using 2.6.30-rc7 and 2.6.28-12 with modules loaded according to tormod's page ...

Leave a comment:

• Sarvatt
    replied
    Well 2 people sent me email not long after I merged it saying compiz was unusable after switching to it. tormod has a bug report open for one of his problems with it here -

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21582

there's a seperate PPA for radeon-rewrite so I figured to play it safe and wait a bit longer instead of getting rid of the option to have a non radeon-rewrite 7.6 from in that PPA. I dont use ati in linux so I'm just going by the feedback, not trying to imply I know anything about it

Leave a comment:

• nhaehnle
    replied
    Originally posted by Sarvatt View Post
    I stopped merging radeon-rewrite with the main mesa on xorg-edgers because it's got too many problems right now.
    What are the most important issues according to you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X