Better AMD Radeon VCE Video Encode Performance Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
    It is no wonder that OBS studio adds realtime AV-encoding via CPU (SVT-AV1, https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...io-27.2-Beta-1), because this is the way to go. By the way, if everybody would be streaming, nobody could watch anymore, right? How many people are actually doing this?
    Wrong. They did it because there aren't any hardware codecs for AV1, simple as that. Plus that wouldn't be anything they would really need to implement, just use the APIs.

And who's streaming? Besides about everyone on Twitch, there are enough companies streaming their content. Just look at YouTube and what they have to encode every minute, even though those are I've time encodings. They just built themselves a VP9 encoder, they probably will do the same for AV1.

Plus it's quite funny to ask "who's streaming" in a time where many people have to do home office and thus make video calls which have to be encoded.

Comment

Well, home office apparently is no problem. Be it my camera, my CPU, my GPU, they all encode on the fly without any issue. SVT-AV1 lifts up the quality level.

Regarding streamers, they often exaggerate their own importance, thinking they are the centre of the world. How many is "enough" companies who would actually be streaming and cannot afford a proper setup, while even among gamers, the Ryzen 5900X is a typical CPU?
      Last edited by Go_Vulkan; 03 January 2022, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
        Well, home office apparently is no problem. Be it my camera, my CPU, my GPU, they all encode on the fly without any issue. SVT-AV1 lifts up the quality level.

Regarding streamers, they often exaggerate their own importance, thinking they are the centre of the world. How many is "enough" companies who would actually be streaming and cannot afford a proper setup, with a normal gaming CPU like the Ryzen 5900X?
        Ever heard the magic word "efficiency"? Home office works well since pretty much every mayor video conferencing software defaults to h.264 which almost why device supports in hardware. Only Cisco is integrating AV1 for desktop sharing and only for content with lots of motion and only on desktop computers.

And it doesn't matter if a company could afford "a proper setup" (thinking that would be a gaming CPU is just hilarious, a proper server CPU would be much more like it), but this just had to be efficient and fast since they also have to pay for the power to drive them. And software encoding will never be as efficient as hardware encoding, the drawbacks in quality are minor enough that the majority of people wouldn't even notice. And do you actually think streaming companies like Google, Netflix, Amazon and what they are called would actually turn down proper hardware encoding lo of the latest royalty-free codec if that would mean that they can use it over their current, less efficient (in terms of quality relative to bitrate), when that doesn't include much higher power consumption (given that they can currently encode everything in hardware), result in saved storage capacity on their servers (and the servers of their CDNs), higher possible quality for their consumers with bad or volume limited internet connection? Then tell me why Google spent years for building a much more efficient VP9 encoder, why they already try to ship as much AV1 as their servers can deliver, why they made it mandatory for the new Android TV and why Netflix helped developing SVT-AV1 to be able to use something much more efficient as the reference encoder as long as there is no dedicated hardware? The answer to all is: efficiency.

Comment

Working...
        X