No announcement yet.

AMD Releases ROCm AOMP 14.0 Compiler - Switches To New "amd-stg-open" Branch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases ROCm AOMP 14.0 Compiler - Switches To New "amd-stg-open" Branch

Phoronix: AMD Releases ROCm AOMP 14.0 Compiler - Switches To New "amd-stg-open" Branch

AMD releases AOMP 14.0 during SC21 week as the newest version of their LLVM/Clang-based compiler providing OpenMP GPU offload support for Radeon graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"ROCm AOMP", one of the worst project names I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      "ROCm AOMP", one of the worst project names I've heard.
      In fairness, I don't think there is anything you can pair with "AOMP" that is going to sound good
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

In fairness, I don't think there is anything you can pair with "AOMP" that is going to sound good
        Why is it AOMP to begin with? Because, in fairness, I don't think that pairs with ROCm very well. Also, doesn't AMD ROCm technically cover the A in AOMP? Now, this suggestion kind of irks me due to my hangup on ATM machines, but ignoring redundant naming issues, what about AGOMP?

AMD Radeon Open Compute AMD GPU Open Multi-Processing

What a mouthful.

ROCm AGOMP is fun to say. No denying that. AGOMP is also much easier to figure out how to pronounce than AOMP, that's for sure.

Comment

Yep, AGOMP sounds better... but AFAIK the initialism is supposed to be represent OpenMP rather than our own combination of words (and yes I know OpenMP expands out to Open Multi Processing) but that won't necessarily be clear to everyone.

Personally I would just call it the ROCm OpenMP compiler but everyone thinks my names are boring.
          Last edited by bridgman; 16 November 2021, 05:28 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Yep, AGOMP sounds better... but AFAIK the initialism is supposed to be represent OpenMP rather than our own combination of words (and yes I know OpenMP expands out to Open Multi Processing) but that won't necessarily be clear to everyone.

Personally I would just call it the ROCm OpenMP compiler but everyone thinks my names are boring.
            Then just "GOMP"

I almost posted that up there but I wasn't sure if the naming was brand/company specific or not.

Comment

They have switched over to using "amd-stg-open" as a new staging area for code from AMD that they are making publicly available but not yet ready (or otherwise not appropriate/applicable) for upstreaming into the LLVM monorepo.
              Wow!

Why wouldn't AMD do the same with AMDVLK? We are all really looking forward to it, it will be a big step forward!
              bridgman agd5f

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
                Why wouldn't AMD do the same with AMDVLK? We are all really looking forward to it, it will be a big step forward!
                bridgman agd5f
                AMDVLK is a periodic extract from a closed source code base that is full of IP from other OSes and APIs which we are not allowed to expose.

OpenMP is an open source only project so no such concerns.

In principle we could fork AMDVLK away from our closed source Vulkan driver and maintain it independently in an IP-clean branch but that would just mean three Vulkan drivers instead of two and a half.
                Test signature

Comment

AMDVLK is a periodic extract from a closed source code base that is full of IP from other OSes and APIs which we are not allowed to expose.

OpenMP is an open source only project so no such concerns.

In principle we could fork AMDVLK away from our closed source Vulkan driver and maintain it independently in an IP-clean branch but that would just mean three Vulkan drivers instead of two and a half.
                  I don't understand a little how this prevents us from making the development of the open part of AMDVLK more open to the community contribution?
                  And what closed code prevents this from being done? Aren't you ready to port LLVM part to Windows driver?

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post

Wow!

bridgman agd5f
                    The changes to LLVM on the graphics side already make their way upstream. LLVM is used by radeonsi, radv (optionally), and AMDVLK. Other than new asic support, pretty much all of the GPU LLVM development happens upstream directly.

Comment

Working...
                    X