Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Learn something new everyday.

Now please confirm something for me, Am I correct that GPU Compute works with AMD GPUs under Linux? I know for a fact that it works under Windows and has for years, but there were a couple of guys here claiming that compute is not available with AMD GPUs under Linux. That's bs, right? If compute is not available with AMD GPUs under Linux using any driver, why is that?
    It's pretty limited in certain ways. Some hardware isn't supported at all, and I imagine the list of supported distros (which is small) is probably important to follow. So under certain circumstances, it's perfectly well supported. But if you don't happen to have the right hardware and distro, it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      I use the vulkan pro driver only when mesa gives me graphical issues such as the tessellation issue with MaxPayne3 for example. And I think Risen3 at one stage.
      Can you please open a bug report in mesa about these issues? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Yogesh Mohanmarimuthu and Nicolai Hähnle have authored patches for Radv, Pierre-Eric Pelloux-Prayer (an amd employee) has submitted patches under his own email address

Quick grep from the git history:
        Yes, we get help from AMD people.

BTW, it's rude to put people's email addresses in public like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Can you please open a bug report in mesa about these issues? Thank you.
          Was done long time ago in all counts. Takes quite a while for such fixes to trickle down into repos, sometimes the fixes may not appear in even the git until a little while after the fix has been found & approved.

Comment

Am I correct that someone decided to delete a bunch of comments from this thread? I am not only taking about mine, but a few others both pro and con regarding the state of AMD's Linux drivers. Do I have the wrong thread or is this were we are at, comments that don't strictly praise GPL'd code are "moderated"?
            There was a GPUFORT thread active at the same time - can you check that one to see if the comments were over there ?

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...away-from-cuda
            Last edited by bridgman; 07 October 2021, 07:32 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

Now please confirm something for me, Am I correct that GPU Compute works with AMD GPUs under Linux?
              Correct. The only missing parts today AFAIK are the optimized math libraries for RDNA/RDNA2, which are still under development.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Yes, we get help from AMD people.

BTW, it's rude to put people's email addresses in public like that.
                In all fairness they put their email address in public themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

There was a GPUFORT thread active at the same time - can you check that one to see if the comments were over there ?

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...away-from-cuda
                  Duh, you are right, LOL. I don't know what I was thinking.

Comment

In all fairness they put their email address in public themselves.
                    Me too, but that doesn't mean I want to see it become spam fodder on a forum.

Comment

Conclusion: It varies between the GPU model and the game we play.

Comment

Working...
                      X