Radeon ROCm 4.3 Released With HMM Allocations, Many Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

Polaris is due to be EOL'd next so support should be coming soon.
    Well I hope it does,
    because we are waiting for ages.. even more tragic is the fact that it was AMD that created Clover, and its graphics cards have no Image support..puff

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
      Well I hope it does,
      because we are waiting for ages.. even more tragic is the fact that it was AMD that created Clover, and its graphics cards have no Image support..puff
      Huh ? AMD did not create Clover - that was Zack at TG/VMWare:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We contributed to Clover for a few years in the hope of seeing it established as a cross-vendor standard, but when Intel released their own OpenCL stack (Beignet ?) we went back to our own OpenCL components and open sourced them as part of the ROCm stack instead.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Huh ? AMD did not create Clover - that was Zack at TG/VMWare:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We contributed to Clover for a few years in the hope of seeing it established as a cross-vendor standard, but when Intel released their own OpenCL stack (Beignet ?) we went back to our own OpenCL components and open sourced them as part of the ROCm stack instead.
        Thanks for sharing and clarifying this..
        I understand your need for ROCm, I really do..

But there are a lot of AMD Hardware out there, especially as consumer hardware that will never work there.. pcie atomics as a requirement, is one of the factors that prevent that..
        So in my opinion Clover can fill that Gap, ROCm for high specialized projects, Clover for the Community that lack the requirements for ROCm.
        With both Solutions you can fill the entire AMD market!

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          But there are a lot of AMD Hardware out there, especially as consumer hardware that will never work there.. pcie atomics as a requirement, is one of the factors that prevent that..
          So in my opinion Clover can fill that Gap, ROCm for high specialized projects, Clover for the Community that lack the requirements for ROCm.
          With both Solutions you can fill the entire AMD market!
          Not sure I understand - our OpenCL solution for older GPUs never required atomics. We used Orca and/or PAL paths for Polaris and older hardware - it's only the ROCm paths that require atomics, and even with ROCm atomics are not required for Vega.

Do you think there are many users running RDNA/RDNA2 GPUs with Bulldozer/Piledriver or older CPUs ? I haven't seen many myself.

Anyways, I'm not arguing against more work on Clover, just against the idea that we started it, promoted it and abandoned it. Having a universal upstream compute solution can only be a good thing.
          Last edited by bridgman; 03 November 2021, 03:40 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

The PCIe atomics requirement for both ROCm and OpenCL has been removed in the latest code. PCIe atomics are no longer required in the latest ROCm release and the upcoming 21.40 packaged driver release.

Comment

Working...
            X