Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sends Out Linux Support Patches For "Yellow Carp" GPU

Phoronix: AMD Sends Out Linux Support Patches For "Yellow Carp" GPU

AMD Radeon open-source Linux graphics driver developers have sent out their initial support for the yet-to-be-released "Yellow Carp" RDNA graphics card...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i really hope to see a low-end, energy&cost efficient model of RDNA2 GPU...

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
      I guess you will get this with Navi 24. Let's hope the GPU will not be for mobile only but I think the chances are good. If you haven't already check this page:
      https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-navi...fer-1024-cores

I am waiting for this chip too I am especially interested in the VP9 and AV1 video acceleration because my CPU is too slow for 4K60 video decoding / rendering.
      Last edited by dc_coder_84; 02 June 2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dc_coder_84 View Post

I guess you will get this with Navi 24. Let's hope the GPU will not be for mobile only but I think the chances are good. If you haven't already check this page:
        https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-navi...fer-1024-cores

I am waiting for this chip too I am especially interested in the VP9 and AV1 video acceleration because my CPU is too slow for 4K60 video decoding / rendering.
        thank you very much!

Comment

Holy Carp!

Let's hope this GPU isn't a stinker, or else it could earn a rather unfortunate nickname.
          💩

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
            I don't think we'll see anything low end for sale until TSMC is able to supply AMD more silicon. Maybe Q4?

Comment

Thanks, skeevy420 will raise the issue with them... Deleting your post though to avoid linking to them bastards.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Thanks, skeevy420 will raise the issue with them... Deleting your post though to avoid linking to them bastards.
                No problem.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Maybe Q4?
                  Which year? The chip shortage is expected to last through most of 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Which year? The chip shortage is expected to last through most of 2022.
                    This year if we're being very optimistic, but I left the question mark in there for good reason. Meaning I wouldn't count on it.

Just because silicon in general is in short supply doesn't mean AMD can't get larger portions of it. We don't know what their agreements with MS/Sony for consoles require them to produce, for example, and other (ARM) vendors are in the progress of switching from 7nm to smaller nodes, freeing up 7nm space for AMD to buy, or maybe Ethereum 2 launches and reduces demand for GPUs, etc.

That said, there's a good chance we never see low end RDNA 2 cards on desktop, given that RDNA 3 is supposed to be coming in the first half of 2022.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 02 June 2021, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X