Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Introduces FidelityFX Super Resolution, NVIDIA Announces DLSS For Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
    If you really care about image quality you don't do lossy upscaling.
    Given how much negative publicity Nvidia got around DLSS 1.0 and how well-received 2.0 was, I'd say people do have some expectation that they'll get better quality than simple upscaling. Otherwise, why not just use a lower-res monitor and render natively?

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
    That's even more of a signal of just how much DLSS is doomed,
    Um, might want to hold off on forecasting the doom of DLSS. At least wait 'till FSR actually launches? It's just 3 weeks away.

Comment

DLSS is the trashy analytics based version of Temporal Upsampling. I already have this on my UE4.19 games:

Engine.ini

[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
      r.TemporalAA.Upsampling=1
      r.ScreenPercentage=50

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
        DLSS is the trashy analytics based version of Temporal Upsampling. I already have this on my UE4.19 games:
        "Trashy" seems to be a minority opinion of DLSS 2.0. It's actually hard to find anything negative about it!Finally, this bombshell:

Comment

I'm really curious how good FSR turns out to be and when it'll arrive on linux.
          Go AMD for making it open source and available to all!

But i'm really surprised about the small DLSS-Announcement - almost seems like the Linux-Gaming-Marketshare is getting big enough for nvidia to at least care a little bit?

Comment

Interesting way to look at it...maybe there is some merit to your explanation. After all, Windows dominance stems from their homeuser/gaming-marketshare, too

Comment

If only anti-cheat companies like EAC/BE could coop with SteamPlay devs... too many of my games are now locked behind anticheat which has forced me back to windows. Not happy about that but I don't like desktops/kernels choosing what I play for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

i really think right now its nvidia downfall... AMD right now wins any super computer sale and nvidia is losing marketshare.

only super egozentric people buy nvidia for linux right now anyone with a brain and any future planing abilities buy AMD...
                I wish that was how real-world behaved.

I placed an order with AMD 6800 GPU with IbuyPower. With AMD 5600 CPU, I expected it to be an AMD powerhouse. After 3 months of waiting, my build got delayed and delayed because of the unavailability of AMD GPU, only after I agreed to switch to Nvidia 3070, did I get my order. I was not happy about it, but that's how it was unfortunately.

Comment

you do joking right?... why does Valve pay all the RADV developers ? of course they will use AMD hardware.
                  Did you not see the whole part about Nvidia and Valve bringing DLSS to Linux?

Ultimately, I think Valve just cares about the ecosystem. They probably don't have such a strong preference who they work with, as long as it's not a platform company with some kind of app store that competes directly with Steam (e.g. Microsoft, Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon).

That said, game streaming is sort of a Steam competitor... but, I guess they saw greater benefit from getting DLSS on Linux than any harm it would do by helping Nvidia.
                  Last edited by coder; 02 June 2021, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by agaman View Post

I would say it's even worse. Cuda at least is natively available in linux. But from the pull requests they have done, seems to me this DLSS is only a hack in wine/proton to make it load a windows DLL that they will distribute together with their driver. There is no native linux implementation so this will not work ever with native linux binaries, only windows ones.
                    Um, DLSS has been supported natively in the Nvidia Linux driver for like two years dude. So we don't need any of this shit for native titles. If a native title ever decides to include DLSS, it will work right now.

Comment

i really think right now its nvidia downfall... AMD right now wins any super computer sale and nvidia is losing marketshare.

only super egozentric people buy nvidia for linux right now anyone with a brain and any future planing abilities buy AMD...
                      This is the most nonsensical shit I've read in quite a while.

When I switched to Linux, I bought into all the lies spread by the AMD cult members in the Linux community. I only ever bought AMD GPUs, including *two* RDNA 1 GPUs.

And it was absolutely **not** a good experience. Yeah, my RX 580 that I bought 2.5 years after it launched ran fine. But every time AMD launch a new GPU, it's plagued on Linux by bugs and absolutely preposterous behavior, and it takes them months to fix them, IF they fix them at all - there are multiple **system-breaking** bugs that I'm cc-ed on that are two years old at this point and still have NO sign of being fixed by AMD, even though they've been reported by hundreds of users and are still being reported by new users almost every day.

And even if that weren't the case, it takes AMD 6 months or more after launch to actually enable all the functionality of their new GPUs. It took them 6 months to enable overclocking/voltage control on RDNA 1, same with RDNA 2, and I saw them enabling new features even past that for RDNA 1 (not to mention the times I saw them turn *off* features months after launch to fix ridiculous bugs).

Meanwhile, Nvidia **always** supports every single new GPU ON launch day, without exception. Go look at the release date of every single GPU (laptop *and* desktop) for the 30 series and you'll see a Linux driver release supporting it from that day or earlier. And it's *full* support, not partial like you get with AMD.

Please stop spreading lies to new/potential new users. I've seen dozens of other people with the same story I had. They bought into the lies, went with AMD, had a horrible time, finally went to Nvidia (like I did for the 30 series), and find out that it's actually less headache despite all the bullshit they've been fed.

Comment

Working...
                      X