AMD Publishes Initial Open-Source Linux Driver Code For "Beige Goby"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
    Fortunately I didn't sell my retired graphics cards so I can at least keep my computer working when some card went wrong...
    i've just checked, used old 1gb videocards are being sold for $15 here, i.e. it shouldn't be that hard to keep computer working

Comment

The Rembrandt successor to the Ryzen 7 5700G should be interesting. Likely 12 RDNA2 CUs, maybe slightly better CPU performance than the 5800X at a lower TDP.

Originally posted by Rabiator View Post
      Rumors on Twitter suggest that "Beige Goby" will have 14 CU, 4 GB RAM and a 64 bit memory interface. That is a low end card by 2021 standards, performance might be halfway between the best AMD APUs and a RX 5500XT. Also, TDP might be below 75W so it can also fill that niche.
      Up to 16 CUs. 14 CUs would be the really cheap model. And if Rembrandt has 12 CUs, Navi 24's advantage would be that it can clock higher (75W all to itself).

Comment

Originally posted by Rabiator View Post

Meanwhile the GT 1030 is obsolete, as both AMD's and Intel's IGP have reached a performance that makes a GT 1030 redundant. At best, it might have a role in systems that have neither IGP nor a need for fast graphics.
        Nope. Intel and AMD iGPU is still halfway from 1030. Just check ryzen 4350G or newest i3. Unless you go to higher end APU. But then, people who use 1030 is people that buy i3 level CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Nope. Intel and AMD iGPU is still halfway from 1030. Just check ryzen 4350G or newest i3. Unless you go to higher end APU. But then, people who use 1030 is people that buy i3 level CPU.

Radeon Vega 8 (Cezanne) appears to be on par with GT 1030 performance. Sure, the 5700G with full 8 CU count is the most high-end Cezanne APU as well as the world's fastest desktop APU, but you could already get that in a $550 pre-built system.

It looks like an up to 12 CU RDNA2 successor could offer around double the performance next year. So around GTX 1050 performance in the 5700G equivalent, and maybe GT 1030 or better in the 5300G equivalent and the slowest mobile Rembrandt APUs.

On the Intel side, UHD 750 is pretty bad. If they tripled the 32 execution units to match the top Iris Xe graphics in Tiger Lake, it would look a lot better. Intel will have another swing at it with Alder Lake in Q4.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post

Radeon Vega 8 (Cezanne) appears to be on par with GT 1030 performance. Sure, the 5700G with full 8 CU count is the most high-end Cezanne APU as well as the world's fastest desktop APU, but you could already get that in a $550 pre-built system.

It looks like an up to 12 CU RDNA2 successor could offer around double the performance next year. So around GTX 1050 performance in the 5700G equivalent, and maybe GT 1030 or better in the 5300G equivalent and the slowest mobile Rembrandt APUs.

On the Intel side, UHD 750 is pretty bad. If they tripled the 32 execution units to match the top Iris Xe graphics in Tiger Lake, it would look a lot better. Intel will have another swing at it with Alder Lake in Q4.
            It depends on bandwith. Ryzen 4 based APU will have much success than their sisters, I think. DDR5 with huge bandwith, X3D, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

It depends on bandwith. Ryzen 4 based APU will have much success than their sisters, I think. DDR5 with huge bandwith, X3D, and so on.
              Rembrandt (Zen 3, possibly Zen 3+) will use DDR5 and LPDDR5. Most people are assuming that at least Rembrandt will not get 3D cache due to it being expensive, and that some desktop halo CPUs (based on Zen 3 like the prototype shown off) will get it early next year. Maybe just a refresh of the 5800X, 5900X, and 5950X.

A Rembrandt desktop APU with 12 CUs and DDR5 will be impressive, although it won't hold a candle to the Xbox Series X and PS5 which are basically using giant RDNA2-based APUs.

Comment

Working...
              X